Lyme Disease

Discussion in 'Bee Medicinals' started by Iddee, May 11, 2012.

1. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

Ticks are bad here, and my daughter's dog actually got it, while we were dog sitting. She was treated after we saw the paralysis setting in (did not know she was bit) She is better now, but the vet said she has it forever though dormant may reappear. I didn't know that.

But two questions...

1. Front line application we use on our Siberian Husky for ticks and fleas...Is this a bad choice around bees?

2. For NC: Saw on the news, they are beginning to broadcast spray for mosquitoes in anticipation of a "bad year" Didn't really think twice about it until we saw a crew spraying huge flumes of this stuff on the main highway about 5 miles from us...Does NC only spray the main highways or will they be coming down the secondary roads...and is it bad for the honey bees? Do I need to post "no spray zone, honey bees" signs?

A bit of bad humor but I did get into a "discussion" when Energy United was spraying herbicide all over the flowers sort of near the poles, and quite near my goldfish pond...(He won, I said don't, he did anyway...) In case you haven't noticed, willy nilly spraying gets under my craw.
    :ranting::frustrated::box:

2. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

Ticks seem to love me, last weekend I went to the farm with two of my neighbors to sort out a camping spot. When I was working the bees one of them went into the woods to forage for food and the other was checking out sink holes looking for caves. We all sprayed down with the same bug spray but when we went out to the new 80 acres I was pulling of 3-4 ticks every time we got off the mule

3. Zulu

Zulu Member

Frontline is the same chemical that causes bees to get lost, family of neo-nicotiniods , but once on the dog , the bees are not going to get it.

As for other spraying , yep all bad for the bees. Put signs out if you can and also check with local AG extension service if they have any say, because in some counties they will listen to bee keepers and only spray after dark I have heard.

4. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

Thanks for the information, and I did call the county office. Our county said that they don't have any plans to spray for mosquitoes in this county at this time, and that it would mainly apply to coastal communities. She also did say that if they did in the future plan to spray they would do it at dusk.

We are very close to 3 county lines actually and it was a different county we saw broadcast spraying, but fairly close to here (on the highway).

When I said we saw this other nearby county spraying about noontime, she said it had to be a different reason they were spraying.

So that be that :eek:

5. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

ef said:
    "I don't want to be a nit-picker but....maybe we should refer to you as "old man/woman river"?
    ef, you can be a 'nit-picker' among us tick pickers......:lol:
    i would be senior, senior, senior river, i think that qualifies me as a queen......:queen:?!!!

6. RachelHaygoodNC

RachelHaygoodNC New Member

When I was a child my grandmother used to braid our hair and make us wear hats. When we came in from the woods they would check our scalp for ticks. if they found any alcohol would be applied to get them to release their grip as we were told they cannot be pulled out. Pretty vile.

7. RachelHaygoodNC

RachelHaygoodNC New Member

They don't like lavender essential oil, geranium essential oil or tea tree essential oil. Tea tree is cheap and you can get it at Wal Mart for under 8 dollars. This is all safe for skin.

8. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

9. bee stung

bee stung New Member

hispalette.blogspot.com here in MN bee keeps should call DNR and tell them were you have hives ,, then they will not spray with in a mile of your hive

10. ablanton

ablanton New Member

Where is it at in Walmart? Garden section? What does it look like?

11. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

I just bought a product called permethrin. The directions say to spray it on your clothes and there is suppose to be enough to do 4 outfits ( outfit being shirt, pants, and socks ) and it will last 42 days or six washings whichever comes first. Has anyone tried this stuff around bees? I have always used nail polish to remove ticks, paint them let it dry and within a minute they suffocate and will brush off.

12. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Absolutely brilliant! :thumbsup:

13. Cape Fear Bees

Cape Fear Bees New Member

Permethrin is the active ingredient in gardstar. It is toxic to bees so be careful spraying it around them. I'd stay away from it, for my own health. lol

14. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

You spray on your clothes and let it dry before you use them, 1st try yesterday 1st time with no ticks. Bees didnt seem to care about it either

15. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Thanks for thinking of me Efmesch! (sheesh I hope I spelled that right...it's been awhile!)

As far as the Lyme goes...we are doing well! We didn't do well at all during the time that we were trying to go through the allopathic physicians and follow their recommendations. It seems that they can't even agree among themselves what the treatment should be, what the duration of the disease process is, or what the testing standards should be. We spent thousands of dollars for months on end only to become sicker and sicker.

Of course being the stubborn mama that I am I did my own research and made some choices for our family that lots of folks would disagree with. The first thing we did was change our diets dramatically...lots of juicing and fresh foods with little to no white flour or processed foods, we also incorporated lots of "living" foods like kefir into our routine. My husband makes colloidal silver (and the generators to produce it) so we began using that via a nebulizer twice a day...we credit that along with some herbal tea blends that we came up with with our improved health. Baby Beek does have some permanent joint damage and is usually quite happy to apply a sting or two when needed...and considers the stings she gets from time to time a tonic to her immune system. I couldn't do that for myself since I developed a nasty allergic response to the stings...whether it's a true allergy or my body reacting badly due to an overwhelmed immune system we don't know yet.

There is an interesting documentary on Lyme disease called "Under our skin" that is very eye opening to the confusion surrounding the illness itself.

16. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Glad to hear from and about your doings after a long silence. Keep following the docs' instructons that seem to be helping and make a full recovery. Winter is on the doorstep, so it's that season when, as a beekeeper you "take it easy" (if you can ease up on other things). :grin: