Madder than a wet Beee!

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by crazy8days, May 5, 2012.

1. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Was told first week of April my nucs will be ready. Weather turned cold then was first week of May. Called last week and was told to call later in the day and we might be able to get your nucs to you. So called...... "No, not ready!" maybe a couple weeks! GRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!

Was told they want to get me a good nuc. I understand but being told then have to wait a month, then wait some more has made me not a happy camper.:ranting::ranting::ranting::ranting::ranting::ranting::ranting::ranting::ranting:

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Time to look elsewhere. PM indypartridge and indiana dave and ask them if they know where you can get one or two NOW.
    [h=1][/h]

3. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Would I be able to get my money back? This is not becoming a first beekeep experience.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Did they deliver, or break the contract. They have to give your money back. Threaten and carry out small claims if they refuse.

5. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Deliver? well not yet? they say it's due to the weather. As for contract. I ordered by phone call.

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The contract was made when you paid...

7. Crofter

Crofter New Member

I have some nucs on order but the whole shooting match depends on having warm enough weather for the virgins to mate. Last weekend a good part of southern Ontario lost a high percentage of its fruit crop due to heavy frost on blossoms that jumped the gun due to the very promising early false spring. We have a bunch of splits with our own virgin queens that should have mated last week. The weather was dicey and cant predict how well mated the queens will be. Unless a Canadian has a connection to an offshore supplier we sure are in no position to rattle the cages especially if the supplier has a reputation for quality bees. My thought is its more likely the weatherman jerking you around and may be entirely out of the suppliers hands.

8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Sorry to hear about your dilemma. It can be dissapointing when your first experience involving a fantastic new adventure like beekeeping suffers from the fallible "human" element.

9. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

I am a new Keep too and had a bunch of problems with suppliers too. I can tell you this ...Every time I got over the "hump".. something else happened.. BUT as of Thursday it all fell into place. If it was easy everyone would do it. But I am only 3 days in to being a keep and can say already it is all worth it...

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If the weather is truly at fault, he cannot find any local nucs, so he can wait comfortably. If he has no trouble finding other local nucs, the weather is not the problem.

11. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I had an extra month's delay past when mine were originally promised, missed most of the early flow for them, hoping their vsh qualities make them worth the wait. I did get a great price buying with the whole bee club, but I guess prepping a couple of hundred nucs for one day's delivery would take a bit of time.

12. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Dang,,,sorry to hear that Crazy8...It will work out...these things always do...

13. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Crazy8, Chalk it up to an important lesson in beekeeping: suffering "endless" Patience.

14. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Sorry to hear of your troubles for sure.

Waiting on packages or nucs is something I have never had the pleasure of doing. Never bought a package or nuc, was always on the look out for swarms or bee trees.

15. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

I have a couple traps out and with talking to blueblood I had my brother who is a sergeant for the sheriff's dept let dispatch know I'll take swarms if they get a call.

16. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Send word to the fire department too. They also get swarm alarms.

17. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Don't call the exterminating companies, tho, unless you have 5 or 10 hives ready to respond with. They will flood you.

18. blueblood

blueblood New Member

That's a good idea Iddee (pun really not intended:smile:)...never thought to let them know. Yeah, Crazy, I am glad I was patient because I was very close to buying $200 worth of packages from Georgia when I received my first swarm call two weeks ago. And like G3 said, I think I am going to try to rely on swarms from here on out. After my first inspections of those swarms today and seeing how fantastic they draw comb out so fast, I am a believer..I bet they winter over better too.