Made a descion

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by barry42001, Jun 1, 2012.

1. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

In August I will be getting 4 Ferguson Buckfast queens to requeen the " buckfast " bees I got rom Texas. the only difference in pricing is a dollar inspection fee charged by USDA. From all my readings and word of mouth these are the real deal. Looking forwards to seeing what they are all about.:thumbsup:
    Barry

2. Tia

Tia New Member

I started with Buckfast from a reliable local breeder. They were a little feistier than Italians and the mutts I have now, but were great producers and strong disease-resistant bees. Hope you have the best of luck with yours!

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hey Barry:
    Adam Foster Collins has been in direct contact with Ferguson Apiaries, trying to get permits to bring in some of his Buckfast line. Really getting put through the mill by the province though, don't know if he'll be succesful or not. He has done quite a bit of research and Ferguson's line are supposed to be real gentle. :thumbsup:

4. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

somehow I think I will enjoy those gentle bees, as opposed to those other " gentle bees " that spend their time circling around my head 20 or 30 at a time, while 5 or 6 for trying to find soft spots in my suit. GENTLE lol
    Barry

5. Adam Foster Collins

Adam Foster Collins New Member

I just received my permit to import bees into Nova Scotia a few minutes ago. I will be getting queens from Bill Ferguson http://www.fergusonapiaries.on.ca/

I have had conversations ongoing with Bill and more recently, his daughter Sherri. They have been extremely accommodating, considering I am only looking at importing 10 or less. I have yet to see the bees, but their customer service has been above-and-beyond for me.

In contrast, I contacted another prominent breeder over a month ago, and got my first, 5 word response just yesterday. Too late for them now.

Adam

6. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Yes, Sherri, and Bill, lol reverse the name order if your like, were very cordial and accommodating, I am ordering 4, will split where I can requeening and using the existing queen to populate the split. later on in August of next year reorder new queens from Mr. Ferguson, for the then 2 yr old splits. By then I will have a idea if they are milder then the, " other " buckfasts
    Barry

7. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

any breeder I should avoid for buckfasts? (pm me please.)