Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to make a hive top feeder. I have a small bucket with a tight fitting lid. Any suggestions on how to turn this into a feeder?

I was thinking of punching small holes in the top like a jar feeder would have, turning it upside down over the brood box with an empty super over it, but don't want it leaking all over the bees. Any suggestions appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
Hi Gingerbee,

Is the bucket plastic or metal? I wouldn't recommend plastic as the holes you drill can get distorted and enlarged very easily. This could cause the syrup to drip which is really bad. If it's metal drill 4 or 5 holes 1/16 or 3/32 in the bottom (1/8" is too big) then prop it up off the frames with a couple of popsicle sticks or something about that height. Cover it with your empty super and you should be good to go.

Any one else have a different way to do it?

Charles

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Charles,

The bucket is plastic and it's already made. I took some suggestions from another forum before I got back here and hope they work. The suggestion was to use 4 penny nails or the nails you use to put together frames. I hope I didn't make the holes too big. What happens if the syrup drips? Will it be OK?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.