Making a Smoker Holder

Discussion in 'Building plans, blueprints, and finished projects' started by Papakeith, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

why spend 15 dollars if you don't have to right?

That's how I felt about a smoker holder. A good idea, but I have enough scrap laying around that making one shouldn't be a problem.

I started with some sheet steel. I kind of eyeballed the measurement. It ended up being about 6.5 inches wide.
    cut some steel.jpg

Then I bent two corners to make a shelf for the smoker's bellows. I also drilled two holes on each side about an inch from the top and just wider than the bellows. One hole if for the wire keeper and the other is to mount the unit when it's finished. To make the bends I used a 2' bending brake.

bend some steel.jpg

the last bit is the bracket that keeps the smoker in place. I had some welding wire and it seems sturdy enough for the task. Again, no real measurements were made. I made a bend, held it up to the assembly, made another bend, etc. Initially I was going to cut a couple of strips of steel and make yokes for the wire but opted to keep it simple and threaded the wire through a hole and bent it over to keep it in place.

welding wire bent.jpg

And here it is in use. It took all of 15 minutes of my time and zero dollars spent. It ain't pretty, but it is functional. And much better than me leaving the smoker in the middle of the workshop floor after each use until it cooled.

mounted mount.jpg

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Excellent idea! :thumbsup: and love the price!