making comb honey

Discussion in 'Organic Beekeeping' started by fatbeeman, Feb 27, 2012.

1. fatbeeman

fatbeeman New Member

hello
    just thought I would post how to make gourmet honey in qt jars. go to me web page
    www.DixieBeeSupply.com there's lot of learning videos there.
    Don

2. Omie

Omie New Member

Cool little video Don.
    How do you make sure all bees are out of the jar when you want to collect it and screw the lid on?

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Don, that is a nifty idea, thanks for posting the link. :thumbsup:

4. Marbees

Marbees Member

Don, thanks for sharing. Really appreciated. :thumbsup:

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

If you could edit the video and add on a picture showing the finished product, you'd be ready to pick up an Oscar.

6. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Neat idea. Thanks.

7. Omie

Omie New Member

Still wondering how to get all the bees out of the jar when you go to harvest it.

8. d.magnitude

d.magnitude New Member

I'd been thinking about this idea for a while, it's good to see that somebody else is actually doing it. I think I came across the idea looking at illustrations in a book by Langstroth, or one of the other real old-timers.

I thought I would use straight sided wide-mouth jars, so that the comb could be cut out by the user. It might look less impressive though (less of a ship-in-a-bottle look). I never did see a finished product... c'mon Don.

To clear the bees out, perhaps you could rig up a thin shim to go under the board holding the jars, and then an escape board under that. Other than that... I don't know, drumming?

-Dan

9. tommyt

tommyt New Member

RayM
    Very nice links

Thanks
    Tommyt

10. kebee

kebee Active Member

Thanks for the links, has giving me some ideas maybe to use next year after I have learn a little more on helping my bees to make it, make the honey and package it too.

Kebee

11. RayMarler

RayMarler New Member

I've not done this myself, but a friend of mine tried it last year when I told him about the process. He ran an 8 frame deep and a medium as the brood nest and put the jars on top of that, covered by an empty super for to keep the jars in the dark. The bees drew out all 12 pint jars with beautiful comb honey. He did not put anything in the jars as a starter at all and the bees still went in and filled the jars with comb honey.

12. Marbees

Marbees Member

Thanks Ray, great links, gotta try on one hive this summer

13. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

14. timekeepsgoing

timekeepsgoing New Member

Thanks for this. I will try it out!

15. fatbeeman

fatbeeman New Member

its a old idea we did when I was a kid my self. I forgot lot of the old ways as I can remember them I 'll post them.
    Don

16. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

this is another old way of doing comb honey, but this is not using jars, just empty frames. it works. with imperfect peices you can put these into jars and fill them with honey. i posted this in another thread....just can't find it right now! :lol:

okay i just rechecked my video......it ain't working! so will get it working!

working now.....sorry....dunno what happened?!

[video=youtube;xval9IFV2_I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xval9IFV2_I[/video]

17. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

great little 'how to' video riverbee. I kind of do it in this same fashion although I sometimes use baby nuc frames and always use plain beewax foundation in the frames. for me even medium or shallow frames will work since I package the stuff up in wide mouth pint jars and fill the empty space with extracted honey. I also 'freeze' the frames for a minimum of 24 hours before I cut the stuff up.

18. Omie

Omie New Member

Like Riverbee, I prefer foundationless for comb honey- I don't want to chew or eat any commercially made foundation- even the thin stuff! =8-\

Tecumseh- does freezing affect the pretty powdery whiteness of the cappings at all?

19. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

omie, i don't freeze the frames like tecumseh does, but i do freeze the packages. i usually cut the frames as soon as they are removed from the hive, let them drain, package, put a ziplock over the package and then freeze it. the cappings stay very white this way, (and kills any wax moth larvae that may be present).