Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Cool little video Don.
How do you make sure all bees are out of the jar when you want to collect it and screw the lid on?

·
Registered
983 Posts
Don, thanks for sharing. Really appreciated. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
If you could edit the video and add on a picture showing the finished product, you'd be ready to pick up an Oscar.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I'd been thinking about this idea for a while, it's good to see that somebody else is actually doing it. I think I came across the idea looking at illustrations in a book by Langstroth, or one of the other real old-timers.

I thought I would use straight sided wide-mouth jars, so that the comb could be cut out by the user. It might look less impressive though (less of a ship-in-a-bottle look). I never did see a finished product... c'mon Don.

To clear the bees out, perhaps you could rig up a thin shim to go under the board holding the jars, and then an escape board under that. Other than that... I don't know, drumming?

-Dan

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Thanks for the links, has giving me some ideas maybe to use next year after I have learn a little more on helping my bees to make it, make the honey and package it too.

Kebee

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've not done this myself, but a friend of mine tried it last year when I told him about the process. He ran an 8 frame deep and a medium as the brood nest and put the jars on top of that, covered by an empty super for to keep the jars in the dark. The bees drew out all 12 pint jars with beautiful comb honey. He did not put anything in the jars as a starter at all and the bees still went in and filled the jars with comb honey.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Thanks Ray, great links, gotta try on one hive this summer

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
its a old idea we did when I was a kid my self. I forgot lot of the old ways as I can remember them I 'll post them.
Don

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
this is another old way of doing comb honey, but this is not using jars, just empty frames. it works. with imperfect peices you can put these into jars and fill them with honey. i posted this in another thread....just can't find it right now! :lol:

okay i just rechecked my video......it ain't working! so will get it working!

working now.....sorry....dunno what happened?!

[video=youtube;xval9IFV2_I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xval9IFV2_I[/video]

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
great little 'how to' video riverbee. I kind of do it in this same fashion although I sometimes use baby nuc frames and always use plain beewax foundation in the frames. for me even medium or shallow frames will work since I package the stuff up in wide mouth pint jars and fill the empty space with extracted honey. I also 'freeze' the frames for a minimum of 24 hours before I cut the stuff up.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Like Riverbee, I prefer foundationless for comb honey- I don't want to chew or eat any commercially made foundation- even the thin stuff! =8-\

Tecumseh- does freezing affect the pretty powdery whiteness of the cappings at all?

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
omie, i don't freeze the frames like tecumseh does, but i do freeze the packages. i usually cut the frames as soon as they are removed from the hive, let them drain, package, put a ziplock over the package and then freeze it. the cappings stay very white this way, (and kills any wax moth larvae that may be present).

1 - 20 of 38 Posts