Making Soap

Discussion in 'The Rural Life' started by Iddee, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I've been making soap for close to a year now, but always used the cold process method.

Today I tried the hot process method. Glad I used cheap oils. It TOTALLY DID NOT turn out right. :confused: :( First, it boiled over on to the counter, floor, and ME!!! Then it refused to go through the cycles. I never did get it to go through the jell stage.

OH Well, I'll try again some day. :frustrated: :ranting:

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

WOW, hope you did not get burned or hurt. Be careful!!

Sounds like you got a new line of natural liquid hand soap to market now.

Never have tried my had at making soap, I like Ivory soap the best myself.

G3

3. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

i'm sorry your soap didn't turn out! Hopefully sometime soon I'll get to come and make soap with you. We've used hot process for almost all our soap, I only cold process a couple of varieties now.

if you make soap and you want it to float like ivory does you just whip air into it.

4. Hobie

Hobie New Member

I've always wanted to try making soap, but it seems like a lot of work. Is it?

Although it does remind me of one year when my brother-in-law's brother made soap. He was always giving us wonderful home-made foods and farm-fresh fruits and cheeses. That Christmas we all got a beautiful creamy yellow bar, wrapped plainly with no label.

Later that day, my brother-in-law grated some of that gift onto his taco!

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I bet he made a good face when he bit into that taco :shock: :eek: :rolling: :rolling:

G3

6. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

:lol: maybe i should send my baby brothers some yellow soap and see if he likes it?

I don't think making soap is any more work than baking bread or a scratch cake. You just have to plan for it and make sure that you can give it your total attention while you do it. It depends on your idea of fun I guess.....we think it's fun to make soaps and lotion bars, and lip balm, and burn salve, and what the kids have named "boo boo balm".

We have strange ideas of fun according to some people though :roll:

7. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

Oh yes, we have lots of fun, most of which requires one sort of work another. Soap making is fun for us though, cause after it's all said and done you can enjoy the fruit of your labor while you compete with your brother to see who can make the biggest bubble when your supposed to be washing your hands! :D

8. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Oh yes, we have lots of fun, most of which requires one sort of work another. Soap making is fun for us though, cause after it's all said and done you can enjoy the fruit of your labor while you compete with your brother to see who can make the biggest bubble when your supposed to be washing your hands! :D[/quote:1vs0bipw]

:rolling: :rolling: at least y'all don't have to lye test the hot process soap!!! Poor Little Man is the only one brave enough to do that chore!

9. XLB

XLB New Member

i lye tested the soap once and i won't voluntarily do it again! I'd rather lick a nine volt battery!

10. G3farms

G3farms New Member

What do you have to do to lye test the soap??

G3

11. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

most folks with some common sense use something like ph strips. A few times we have made soap and were in a hurry to get it to the people who had asked us to make it for them so we drew straws to see who would do a "zap" test. You hold the end of a bar to the tip of your tongue and if it "zaps" then it's lye heavy and needs to cure longer.... or so we are told.

Little Man muscles right up to it and kind of laughs it off.....XLB gets so nervous about the thought of either tasting soap or getting zapped that it turns into a hilarious production and he never can bring himself to actually touch the soap to his tongue.

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I'll bet XLB hopes he never says a bad word in front of grandma, if he don't like the taste of soap.... :eek: :shock:

We all know what she would do. :lol:

13. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

hee hee, it would be so funny to see that one!

14. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Well, I tried the hot process again today. It didn't go through all the stages it is supposed to, but went straight to the last stage. I think it turned out good, but won't know for sure for two or three more days.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

15. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

I hope it turned out. When we do hot process it's hard to see it go through each stage sometimes because it happens so fast. I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya.

16. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I think you are suposed to stick your tounge to it or something like that. :lol: :lol:

G3

17. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

Do any of you experienced soap makers have a web site or book that you would recommend to someone curious about soap making? I see all these goat milk bars, etc, with these fabulous scents and have wondered how hard they are to make. Can you blend herbs into your soaps? Rosemary comes to mind as well as citrus.

18. LilWilli

LilWilli New Member

It would seem that many ways of the making end with acceptable results, just as many roads lead to Dallas. You all end up at the same place, only from a different direction.... :hi:

19. Iddee

Iddee New Member

20. Charles

Charles New Member

Glad to hear it turned out better this time, and thanks for the links!