Making Splits for Swarm Control

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by ApisBees, Feb 26, 2013.

1. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Making Splits for Swarm Control .

Hives of bees that are strong enough to be a pollination unit, 5 frames of brood with bees covering 8 frames, during fruit tree pollination starting around the first week in May will become two crowded and will swarm before the main nectar flow starts at the end of June.

Rather than have swarms leaving the hives weakened just before the honey flow. Split the hive and get more bees working for you.
    I well be posting video and comments over the next while on splitting hives, making nucs and setting up 2 queen hives.

These videos were shot on May 24th 2012. The Cherry and Apple trees are finished blooming and the hives are ready to be brought out of the orchards.
    In the first video I'm splitting the 2 brood boxes. Looking for the queen to ensure she is in the original hive. And locating capped brood to be used in the split and nucs.
    [video=youtube;IC2TqRY-d6M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC2TqRY-d6M[/video]

2. crackerbee

crackerbee Member

Love that "soup spoon hive tool" Apis,where can I get one:lol::rolling:And do they come in red?:rolling::rolling:

Cool video thanks.:thumbsup:

3. jb63

jb63 New Member

Thx for sharing.I'm looking forward to sunshine and warm weather again.

4. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Part 2
    The two nucs received 2 frames of capped brood with some pollen and honey surrounding the brood and the bees that were on the frame. 2 empty drawn combs were placed on the outside giving the new queen space to lay. The caped brood will emerge over the following 9 days providing more than enough bees to fill the nuc box and allow the new queen to lay the out side frames and relay the centre frame as the bees emerge.

In 1 weeks time the emerging brood will provide enough bees to fill the nuc box in 2 to 3 weeks time will need to be transferred to a super.
    I made the split and nucs while the hive was still in the orchard so the bees could be placed in their new location back at the farm to eliminate the bees drifting back to their original hive.
    [video=youtube;Ro_Pz6bh1Hg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro_Pz6bh1Hg[/video]

5. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Part 3
    Finding the queen to ensure she is put in the original hive, and not in one of the nucs or split. The reason for missing her the first time is that most times she is closer to the center of the super. So I don't look for her really well on the outside frames. She was in the bottom box on the second frame from the outside. After finding the queen we watched her lay a few drone eggs.
    [video=youtube;wuuQlv2IRnk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuuQlv2IRnk[/video]

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hey Keith, great videos! :thumbsup:
    Nice looking queen and some really nice brood frames, solid and wall to wall. Queen didn't miss a beat with everything going on (sounded like a blower in the area).
    Good stuff!

Can't tell you how many times when I needed to find a queen, I'm at frame 17 and getting that sinking feeling like [email protected], I missed her somewhere and then there she is on 19 or even 20 sometimes. :lol:

7. Marbees

Marbees Member

So, it happens to the others too :lol:

8. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

No I mist her first time thru but she was on a frame that has a lot of drone cells and didn't look very closly at it. This is in my cousens cherry orchard in Oyama, and he is weed wacking around the trees. The hive needs to be placed up high enough that the sprinklers do not spray the hives and into the hive entrence. Working on part 4

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Oyama, I used to love stopping there. My wife's last family reunion (that we were able to attend) was there.
    Is the distillery still there? (Seagrams, I think)????

10. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Hiram Walker
    [video=youtube;b8V-BKh8HrU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8V-BKh8HrU[/video]

11. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Part 4

The split and nucs where made with mostly capped brood. The open brood was put in the original colony. The original colony was left with 8 frames of brood and bees covering the 10 frames in the bottom super. A second brood super of drawn comb was added for the queen to lay in.
    The split had 4 frames of capped brood and bees to cover 6 frames. The remaining space was filled with drawn comb. The nucs were made with 2 frames of brood and 2 empty drawn combs. The split and nucs were moved to another location and the original hive was left in the orchard for the foraging bees to return to.

[video=youtube;bWXy2-HcwNg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWXy2-HcwNg[/video]

12. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

Thanks :coolphotos: needed some interaction with the bees....even if was just a video :thumbsup:

13. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Thanks Tim was in thru a hive at home yeaterday, they were bringing in yellow pollen don't know what from buet the girls were happy.