Making wax

Discussion in 'Products of the Hive' started by ColinUK, Sep 16, 2018.

1. ColinUK

ColinUK Member

Hi I'm coming to the end of my first season. I have quite a lot of comb wax and cappings. Can anyone give me advice on how to purify these as I want to make some hand balm. I don't have a huge amount about 1 pound. If anyone has a good recipe for hand balm that would be great as well
    Thanks

2. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Active Member

make a solar wax melter and on the pan bend the end up and drill a few holes and put all the scrap wax on a paper towel and make sure the drain holes are covered by the towel, it will hold back like 99% of any crap so it stays out of the wax..

3. ColinUK

ColinUK Member

Thanks I will give it a try. If ever the sun comes back out.

4. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Active Member

lol..in my area its been a week of rain and cloudy skies....

5. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I use old tshirts for a filter inside my solar wax melter. I have bottom to top, metal bowl, metal hardware cloth, Tshirt stretched across an old deep hive painted black, comb on the tshirt centered over the bowl, and glass on top. The tshirt is trash afterward

6. ColinUK

ColinUK Member

Autumn here. Here is the rain till February

7. Gypsi

How about an inexpensive crockpot or double boiler, cut a slit in the top pot on the double boiler to pour wax through it. filter through an old t shirt or towel over another container, held on pretty well so no accidents?

you want to heat wax slowly, have a protected work surface and avoid open flames, it's a fire hazard. I do all my melting outdoors in the summer, or on an induction cooktop, no flame, and surface doesn't heat up, but I did pick up a small crockpot at a rummage sale.

8. Gypsi

I would rubberband the t shirt for filtering, or use some kind of strap, before pouring wax through a filter I think. Too much can go wrong