Making your own frames

Discussion in 'Building plans, blueprints, and finished projects' started by tmrschessie, Aug 20, 2013.

1. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

2. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Also if you click on his videos you can see how he makes the rest of his wooden ware at a fraction of the cost. Tom

3. blueblood

blueblood New Member

That's good stuff Tom,,,thanks! I will put that on the back burner for this winter's projects..

4. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

I will be looking for a good saw this summer and getting set up for winter work also Dave. Check out the disc he sells, I got one and it is easier to manipulate through that when you want something and you don't have to be online to use it. I think I will get one of those small disc monitors I have seen in Walmart to use it in the shop. Tom

5. Zulu

Zulu Member

There is a satisfaction in building your own stuff, but unless you are retired or your time has no value, only then is it "much cheaper".

6. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Not retired totally yet, but do like to build as much of my own stuff as possible. I have been salvaging lumber this summer and have enough scraps of 2x4 to make a lot of frames....not sure if you would call me cheap or thrifty...lol But again I take great pleasure in using stuff others discard and turning it into something I can use. Tom

7. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

With the wind and rain today...winter may not be far off....lol Tom

8. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I fully agree with you ---but. A lot of scraps will be lost until you get it right----end even then, you can't expect to get tha same quality as you would from bought frames. Once I had a fully equipped carpentry shop at my disposal and set out to do as you intend. In spite of all the quality machinery, it never really came out perfect. I don't say you can't do a better job than me, you probably can, but you'll really go through a lot of lumber in the process.
    At least you can make sawdust for your smoker. :lol:

9. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

We heat with wood in the winter. Any scraps will add warmth to the home....Wast not want not....Tom

10. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

when I get to the point I have alot of time(retired) I can see making frames but I can buy a hole lot of frames cheaper atm from mann lakes then I can build them cause of time spent making them rather then working at this point in my life, 35 years as a carpenter Im sure I can set up real sweet jigs for making just about everything fast and easy, but thats in the future.

11. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Just wondering if you guys actually watched his videos?? I don't take much to get set up and very little time or material wasted. As I stated before I just enjoy doing things that I have never taken the time to learn before...and making items I need rather then buying them has it's own rewards. At least it does for me. Tom

12. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Well said words. Frames (or anything) you make yourself are worth much more than just the money saved. Add to their value the pride of production---that can be priceless!

13. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

yes I love to make my own everything, but as it stands with 2 full time jobs (beek and construction) when I do have down time Im down and out :lol: 7 days a week here

14. Ray

Ray Member

He is working way to close to the blade for me!
    Figure in the price of the jigs, AND then the price of the safety guards and necessary feather boards and pushers
    Purchasing is way cheaper.

15. Capt44

Capt44 New Member

I build about everthing to do with a beehive except for the frames.
    I've tried and for the amount of cuts and dado widths and time invested I can buy my frames cheaper.
    I get mine from Mannlake ltd for $74.00 a hundred.
    Just the end bars alone take around 12-14 cuts.