MAQS and Powdered Sugar Treatments started yesterday

Discussion in 'Pests and Diseases' started by Pilotbeekeeper, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Pilotbeekeeper

Pilotbeekeeper New Member

Thought I would share experience of how this goes. My first time treating for Varroa.

Hive #1.....my original hive, last mite count was estimated at 140 (over 24 hour period only and I counted these 70 on half the board). Inserted MAQS yesterday as temps in NC forecast to range from 50-80 this week.

Hive #2....mite count at 60. Treated this one with Powdered Sugar yesterday.

I'll report count in a week to let you know how it goes.

PBK

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Looking forward to following this thread. :thumbsup:

3. Pilotbeekeeper

UPDATE -- removed the MAQS strips from hive today and inserted Mite Count board. Not sure what I'll find, but i can say i have not seen may bees with DFW the past several days like i was seeing before. Hoping for the best. Will let you know by Wednesday.

4. Pilotbeekeeper

Update -- i went ahead and counted today after only 24 hours. I counted the whole board and there were 110. Down from last report of 170, but I'm hoping the Manufacturer told D.Magnitude correctly and I can expect these numbers to drop after a couple weeks.

5. d.magnitude

d.magnitude New Member

Yes, do keep us posted Pilot. I have to admit, what the manufacturer told me does make sense (if you assume that a large number of mites were killed under capped cells, w/o doing damage to the brood). I'm really hoping that's the case.

If I calculate correctly, starting from the first day of treatment, there would be 15 days of brood emerging that was already capped at the time of treatment. If most of those emerging bees are spilling out a couple of dead mites, that could add up quickly.

Is a 24 hr. sticky board count supposed to reflect 10% of total mite load of the bees walking around? I seem to recall that figure. If that's the case, and a 24 hr. count just after treatment reflects 1/15th of total mite load of capped brood (as per my questionable calculation above), I could reasonable expect it to be as high as a pre-treatment count.

Anybody, please feel free to correct my math and/or logic.

-Dan

ps- One thing I did not fess up to yet: I looked back and saw that the "use by date" on the front of my MAQS package was March 1, 2012. I treated at the end of March, but I seriously doubt that discrepancy would make a difference.

6. Omie

Omie New Member

I find it hard to believe that MAQS would be killing mites attached to bee pupae inside capped cells, without harming the developing pupae.
    I can understand how it might kill mites that were roaming around on the backs of worker bees in the hive, that these mites would then drop off through the bottom screen. I can also understand how it might kill open celled bee larvae and how that would also kill any developing mites attached to that larvae when it gets hauled out of the hive in housecleaning.
    But killing mites on pupae inside capped cells without harming the pupae? I gotta say I find it hard to believe that claim.

7. d.magnitude

d.magnitude New Member

That's their claim, and precisely supposed to be part of the beauty of the formic acid product. I agree that it must have a sub-lethal effect on brood, or a lethal effect on a small amount of brood. Then again, anything you introduce into the hive has some effect on it (and hopefully it's sub-lethal).

I'm not going to vouch for NOD apiaries, as I have no vested interest in them, but I'll let you know how it works for me in the long run. So far, I can say that I have not seen a noticeable amount of bee/brood mortality. It has yet to be seen what it's dong to the mites.

-Dan

8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Appreciate your keeping us posted on the developements Dan.

9. Omie

Omie New Member

Thanks Dan, I look forward to hearing your observations. :)

10. Pilotbeekeeper

Final Report -- Pulled the boards this morning to determine the current mite count. This is a three day count. As a comparison, I've also restated the results when this all began on 4/1/12.

Hive #1....treated with MAQS -- original count was estimated at 140 per day.....today's count is 25 per day

Hive #2....treated with Powdered Sugar -- original count was 60 per day.....today's count is 5 per day

This is not a valid comparison between MAQS and Powdered Sugar since Hive#2 also went through a broodless period while they created a new queen and Hive#1 had the original queen from my split. However, I am happy to see that the MAQS have done the job. Hive# is doing very well today.

Pilot

11. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Thanks for the information. :thumbsup:

12. Omie

Omie New Member

So, am I correct in thinking both methods seemed to work equally well?
    Have you noticed a significant drop in bee population or healthy brood pattern now in either of the two hives?

13. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Thanks for posting...after seeing similar results, I would personally opt for more organic "sweet" method..

14. CharlieB

CharlieB New Member

Have you checked the queen in the MAQS treated hive to see if she made it?

15. Pilotbeekeeper

These two boxes were the result of a split i did about one week before i started treating each for mites. Hive #1 had the original queen. Hive #2 had to make their own queen, therefore they went through a broodless period. Therefore, I can't say for certain which contributed most to the success.....the Powdered Sugar treatments, or the broodless period. Hive#1 currently has the greatest population of bees, and the best brood pattern. The new queen in hive#2 has only been laying eggs for approx. 10 days, so the population in this hive has dropped, but is growing stronger daily.

16. Pilotbeekeeper

Yes, she did, and is laying well.

17. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I had such great success with powdered sugar last summer that I am unlikely to opt for MAQS. Powdered sugar treatment causes a brood break, as they clean out the cells to remove the powder, or this is my understanding and experience. last summer I went from a 24 horu mite count of 105 at the beginning of treating weekly with powdered (I was dusting the face of the frames, bees and all - not the correct application technique), to a 48 hour mite count of zero after 3 weeks.

So far I have never purchased any of the mite treatment products, don't know that I will. Hopguard was the one I found most interesting. But I never bought it.

I DO look forward to continuing to read your results on MAQS though. Time is a factor, with one hive, leisurely dusting with powdered sugar I had time for.

Gypsi