Marked queen turns up in a different hive.

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by vermillion, May 28, 2012.

1. vermillion

vermillion New Member

How did that happen?

When I split just after easter, she was tucked in her box and the split box had frames of brood, and included all the several swarm cells I found, one of which was capped. That split has been doing GREAT!

I never saw the marked queen again in the original box, though three weeks ago there were supercedure cells... Others who had queens from this batch said that they failed, so since I had capped supercedure cells heard piping and saw them swarm (and caught one of them) I let them be for three weeks and planned to check them yesterday.

So....yesterday, we indeed found a new queen (not yet laying) in that original box. I pulled some brood from the booming swarm box and felt all was good there.

Next, we checked the split. And surprise surprise, there she was: the marked queen was in the split! with most of her mark gone!

I KNOW we did not have her in the split when we closed it all up, we double checked.

I had five swarms go off two weeks ago, I wonder if she ducked in there during one of those. I just dont know how that could have happened, but I know it was not beekeeper error, because we even took a picture of her when we finished the split, and she was in her original box, not the split.

Honestly dont know what to make of that, but I have two queenright hives and one set to start laying, so I am happy. I wonder how she ended up in the hive next door though. Rascal!

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

As someone very smart on this forum once said "Bees will be bees, and do as they please" :lol:
    Go figure!

3. vermillion

vermillion New Member

Haha!! so true...I am fascinated by the things they do. I just think its awesome that she managed to keep her wits about her and end up in a swanky box right next door, despite swarm cells, supercedure cells, virgin queens running around etc. I picture her just ducking next door when nobody was looking, LoL!

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

it happens... sometime I suspect queens gets knocked on the ground many more times than I would like to admit and then flies to some box that she thinks looks a bit like home.

5. vermillion

vermillion New Member

That makes sense...the hive she went into had the old bottom board she came with. Its facing the opposite direction though.

I wish i had had a little bee cam on her to know how she pulled it off. There were 6 swarm cells in the box she ended up in. She must be quite a scrapper!