Marketing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rast, Dec 6, 2011.

1. rast

rast New Member

During a removal (supervising 2KD) this older gentleman from Louisiana was watching. He made the statement to me that honey was expensive, over $30 a gal. I told him that was cheap! Walked over to my truck, pulled out a 1lb. bottle and handed it to him. I said I get $6 for that. He wouldn't give it back, went and got $6 instead.

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

:thumbsup: you could sell ice water to eskimos. Good job :goodpost:

3. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Hey Rast:

See if you can find out where in Louisiana he is buying honey for that price. I'll start trucking mine down there to sell. :mrgreen:

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

when I had some I sold a lot of honey for $30. not that long ago $30/gallon was a illusion.

as a person with several degrees (3 or 4 depending on how you might count such stuff) in Agricultural Economics and Finance how you market your product means more to the bottom line than how you produce the item <this often being the focus of most primary producer) and how you present yourself is the largest part of marketing to the consuming public.

at this time I see a significant attraction by the consuming public to food products produced by authentic folks (call it local or whatever but at the core ingredient is authenticitiy is what folks are buying into).

5. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I've been selling quarts for $13.25 and gallons for $52.00 for the past two years. Most of the other beekeepers in our club have went to $15.00 a quart, and all of us are sold out by the first of the year. :thumbsup: Jack

6. jb63

jb63 New Member

Tec. writes [how you present yourself is the largest part of marketing].I used to work out of 1,500 vans then I bought a 8k Isuzu with 120k on it.The first customer comented to my partner that he noticed we drove nice trucks.It's a good thing we didn't start a week earlier he would have seen the van I donated to the kidney assocation for a tax break.

7. rast

rast New Member

My prices are inline with Jacks. Tec is right. Marketing is an educated sales effort in this money tight buyers market. I make no apologies for my price because it is worth it. One has to honestly convey that. Figure in labor and it is probably worth more, but the market will only bear so much. My costs have gone up also this year along with a loss in tangible equity (dead hives).
    Just an educational sales point. I went into a honey sales booth on a Main St. Farmers Market. The honey was priced, I asked the individual seated in the chair about the variety. He never got up, just stated that it was probably orange blossom. Where did it come from? Oh it's local he said. This was in July, blooms fell off in March! Hired hand I figured, said thanks and left. He never got out of his chair.
    The insurance to sell a consumable good at this market is expensive, I had checked into it.
    Don't do it that way, be proud, confidant, and educated about your product.

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

rast writes:
    be proud, confidant, and educated about your product.

tecumseh:
    absolutely... if you ain't proud of what you are doing and wish to accomplish find something that will do these things first. and most folks no matter what they might think cannot hide or disguise the lack of these three things to the consuming public. bee yourself, bee real and the honey will sell itself.

and thank ya' Jack for the price update <that kind of information is of great help to me. I do hope to have some honey to sell next year. the guiding rules here should be if you sell out too fast then quite likely you are selling too cheap.

9. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

5lb jars $96.00/cs wholesale to stores. $120.00 retail picked up here. That's $20.00/jar or $40.00 for under a gallon.