Marking Queens

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Yankee11, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Bought a marking pen today.

Pros and cons and how is it done. Going in to the hive that spli 4 weeks ago and and look for signs of a new queen. Not gonna try to mark her yet, just hopefully find a sign. But I had a buddy pick up a pen since he was at a place that had them today.

2. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

I have always wanted to mark the queen, but I fear that my clumsy hands will damage her. I have a hard time, aka impossible, spotting the queen. Does anyone have any pearls of wisdom on how to catch and mark a queen?

3. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

Practice on drones!
    Once you can easily pick up, handle and mark a drone, THEN you move on to actually marking the queen.

4. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

What about stings? From drones or the queen

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

There's a 10,000 dollar reward for being stung by a drone.
    A queen seldom, like one in a million, stings a human.

6. Omie

Omie New Member

When i started almost 3 yrs ago, I couldn't spot a queen on the frames for the life of me!

But I kept looking and looking every single time I was holding a frame, and I slowly got better at spotting them.
    I seldom have trouble now finding my unmarked queens on busy frames, so I don't have to paint them with blobs of paint.

But if I didn't get all that practice looking for unmarked queens, I sure wouldn't be good at it today. :)

7. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Ha,

so I take it drones can't sting, I probably should know that hugh, or should have Googled it :wink:. Just havn't had a reason to question it yet. Have had to many questions about other stuff.

8. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Not sure I'll mark mine yet but kinda like the idea of knowing where she is when looking through the hive.

9. Beeboy

Beeboy New Member

10. mdunc

mdunc New Member

11. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Double post, sorry! :oops:

12. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

You will find with time that finding the queen isn't all that important and with time you will also find locating her (marked or not) easier as well. The more important factor with marking is knowing the age of the queen along with whether or not she has been superceded, etc.
    I have one of those queen marking tubes but have yet to use it. I guess I'm not overly concerned with knowing a queens age as I am not all that bothered by letting the bees themselves decide what's best. I rarely pinch and replace unless as a last resort.
    That said, having just received 5 marked queens (marking was a nice surprise) I will use the information to my advantage. :wink: