Marking your Equip.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bsweet, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Saw this on the news tonight and thought I'd share. Data Dots is a spray on UV adhesive with micro dots that have an ID. number/name or PIN engraved on them. Don't khow cost or if food grade. Google DATA DOTS Technology and you decide. Jim

2. Zulu

Zulu Member

While my hives will be on my property, I intend to just router my logo/name on my wooden ware. Saw this in SA where the Beek's license # has to be on the hives

Micro dots etc wont stop someone from taking them and putting them 50 miles away. If there is solid and difficult to erase markings they are unlikely to be reused.

The idea of a hot iron to burn in a name or logo also works well.

3. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Zulu, I to use a router on my boxs and paint with contrasting color. Jim

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Up here when you get bees you are required by law to have them registered. There is no fee but it allows the government agency to keep track of who has what and where. You are also issued an alpha-numeric no# that must be be put (painted, burned, etc.) on all brood chamber boxes (not required for honey supers).
    At first blush, it may seem a bit intrusive, but it allows the notification of keeps in an area if there is an outbreak of any type of disease and provides free updates on any changes.
    I have also been the benefactor of a call from the government about a swarm in the neighbouring town. I am registered so they looked in their files and found me to be closer than anyone else. :mrgreen: