Marshmellow instead of candy.

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by PerryBee, Jun 19, 2012.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Just a quick question.
    I did a cut-out today that kinda went a little sideways :mrgreen:. Long and short of it is I caught the queen and put her in one of those JZBZ queen cages that I had stuffed with a marshmellow. I didn't want to bother making candy so I used what was at hand. How long will it take them to eat that (I am assuming of course that they will) or once all the bees are in should I release her myself? There are no attendants in there with her, I didn't think it was problematic, she's their queen and they can feed her through the cage anyways.
    Thanks

2. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

Perry I've read where the attendant bees are needed to feed the queen because she can't feed herself,you may want to put a few in there.Of course being a newbee I could be wrong...:roll:

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hi Cracker, good to see you on here in the afternoon, that's different. :grin:
    They can feed her through the cage, I only have her in the cage so they don't go anywhere until all the foragers and the bees I couldn't vac find their new home.
    My brand new shop-vac started smoking and cratered on me halfway through the job! :shock:
    #&%$^*#& :ranting:

4. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

My local bee inspector told me if I put a queen excluder on the bottom board for the first few days,it helps prevent them from absconding.

5. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

The queen I just bought had a marshmallow for a candy cap.

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I want to know where the bees were..................................

You can leave her in it until they eat it out, or when you take the hive home you can release her.

Brandon and I caught a queen yesterday and vacuumed the colony. An hour later, we put her in a wooden cage with 3 attendants and candy. She did NOT wait to be fed. She went right to work on the food all by herself.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a Perrybee question..
    How long will it take them to eat that (I am assuming of course that they will) or once all the bees are in should I release her myself?

tecumseh:
    I often use those mini marshmallow on the jzbz cages. exist time seems to primarily depend on the population in the box. I have seen exit time as short as 24 hours but typically if she ain't out in 48 I just pop the cap on the cage and watch her walk out.

8. cheezer32

cheezer32 New Member

They will eat the marshmallow pretty quick, I usually just have a little ball of queen candy setting in the freezer for moments like you had. It's easy to make, just a little powderd sugar and karo (or honey), keep mixing in the powdered sugar untill its not sticky any more and toss a small ball into the freezer in a plastic bag, take it with you on jobs like this just in case.

Like tecumseh said, and my experience has seen it's about 24ish hrs for release.

9. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Like Iddee said....I am curious where the bees were? And pics? That is a huge bummer about your vac.... Surely you are taking it back to the store?

10. Adam Foster Collins

Adam Foster Collins New Member

An hour an a half in the road this evening driving out and back to get a full swarm trap - and no phone call!?!? It was a perfect time to listen to the story of what unfolded with Perrybee today. Perhaps you were too crestfallen over the failure of the new vacuum... :(

First a swarm moves into your backyard - then a new vac fails on the job - ah, the ups and downs of the beekeeping path.

Adam

11. Marbees

Marbees Member

Just split four doubles on Saturday. In queenless halves introduced queens in jzbz cages with marshmellow.
    I was told it takes 24 - 48 hours for queen to be releised.