Mated Danish Buckfast Queens for Sale

Discussion in 'Trading Post' started by danskfarms, Oct 26, 2012.

1. danskfarms

danskfarms New Member

2. jcshoneybees

jcshoneybees New Member

When will they be available in spring? It is a little to cool for me to requeen now but Im interested next year.
    Jason

3. kebee

kebee Active Member

I would be interest in the spring also for one to try.

kebee

4. danskfarms

danskfarms New Member

Danish Buckfast Queens for Sale

Yes, we will have them available in the Spring. We have sold out for this year. You can place an order through our website now, and we will reserve your queens for the next available ship date. Currently we are booked up to March 19th, 2013. The earliest available ship date will change as we continue to book new orders.

Buy Danish Buckfast Queens Here:
    http://www.danskfarms.com/servlet/the-16786/Danish-Buckfast-USA-For/Detail

Visit Us Online:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

just a question for ya'. I am curious as to how other folks do this kind of thing..... so when you call these Danish Buckfast are you using an II Queen or just something selected from your apiary as a queen mother? Why are they called Danish (Buckfast)?

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I think that "Danish" Buckfast are considered to be the closest stock still around to what Brother Adam had.
    I believe our largest Buckfast queen seller here obtains much of his breeder queens from there as well.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

so why the name Danish and why not just Buckfast? I am still curious as to how approximate the stock offered is to the reported brand of Danish Buckfast?

8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

9. Ray

Ray Member

Here is what I saw:
    The last paragraph (I think), says that they outcross to avoid inbreeding. I also say's that Buckfast is a hybrid, which means they won't breed true to parent stock.

I got Abe Lincoln's original ax, the handle has been changed several times and the head twice.:eek:

I am NOT running down anybodies bees, just pointing out facts in the ad.
    " a good way to get shot, pardner, is to start bad mouthin somebody else's horse":lol:

10. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

11. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

Buckfast and Danish Buckfast are distinct lines, at least at Ferguson and Miksa queens. There are actually several numbered lines of each to be technical to prevent genetic depression.

12. Ray

Ray Member

:eek:Would you explain please? What is a distinct line ? If they are just two, of several numbered lines, what do you mean by lines? Do you mean they are a distinct breed? If they are a distinct breed (ie Beagle, Holstein, Persian), then they can't be hybrids, can they? If they are a distinct Hybrid, like most farm crops, how can you maintain the strain? Is Genetic depression the opposite of hybrid vigor?

Thank you in advance.

Thank you for the education:thumbsup:

Danskfarms- my apologizes for hijacking this thread

13. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

Genetic depression is the opposite of hybrid vigor.
    Buckfast has been stable genetically long enough to be considered a sub-species now. Stability in apiaries that are not isolated and over-abundant with drones is not possible. Hence, hobby beekeepers and mid-liners are not bee breeders. Queen rearers they may be, but not breeders.
    The original Buckfast concept, continued in several contries, numbers each hybridization and continues to hybridize the same numbered colonies for years and decades. There are I believe close to 300 Buckfast numbered in the original colonies. Many perished or produced unacceptable qualities. There are still six numbered Buckfast I know of.
    Russian queen rearers have a similar program annually mating the queens with different stock to reduce genetic depression. In the Buckfast model there are parallel lines. The drones come from the mirror colonies to mate with mirrored queens.

14. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Mirror colonies and mirrored queen? can you elaborate?

15. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Can someone start a thread in queen rearing and leave danskfarms to sell bees, please?