Materials for a trapout

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Iddee, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The cone, with an exit hole sufficient to allow two drones to exit together...Must be 1/8 inch hardware cloth. Screen will collapse and clog up, preventing the bees from getting out. 1/4 inch will allow the bees to pass through.

a piece of plywood with a hole in it, size varying with the different jobs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

a tube of silicone caulk and caulking gun.
    Screws and screwdriver
    Catch box, either hive body, super, or nuc, with all frames except one.
    One frame of brood and EGGS. Yes, I capitalized EGGS.
    Platform to mount catch box on, preferably adjustable height.

[​IMG]

Normal set of equipment carried for a removal.
    Expect edits to this post as I remember other things I am forgetting at this time.

2. Monie

Monie New Member

How do adjust for height when using 2x4's for platform legs?

3. Hobie

Hobie New Member

If you used two 2x4s per leg, through-bolted in 2 places each, and with multiple holes, you could have a bit of adjustment, but it would be heavier.

4. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

How soon do you place the brood and EGGS? After the cone is installed and the bees are gathering or at the same time?

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

At the same time. The bees may get agitated after they find themselves locked out.

6. BeeHunter

BeeHunter New Member

Idee, I have a trap out on a tree trunk near the bottom. Will a dirt dam on the bottom work or will they dig under it? Zane

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I guess it depends on the depth. I had a tree trunk on a piece of plywood with the unevenness packed with dirt at the bottom. They removed it and went in and out that way. More depth may have kept them from removing it, I don't know.

Post your results in a week.

8. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

should the trap out be placed in the morning or evening or does it matter?

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The earlier and the sunnier, the more bees will be trapped to care for the bait brood the first night. Other than that, it doesn't matter.

10. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

Sounds good! I think I am going to start my trap out this weekend. I travel a lot with my work so I have to time it right. I have been watching steady flow of bees coming and going from this tree and it seems like a lot to me. Way more then my starter hives. The bees have been there at least 3 years, maybe longer according to the home owner. If I'm lucky maybe I'll get two freebee hives. Did I mention that I use KTBH, so I have taken all of your info and modified it to fit my junk. I'll keep you posted.

11. Monie

Monie New Member

Good luck! Post pictures!

12. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

I told the home owner to not be suprised if they saw a cluster of bees on the a tree branch anytime between now and end of June and guess what? They called me today to tell me that they heard a bunch of bees and noticed a swarm cluster the size of a volley ball way at the top of their tree. I'm out of the state so that stinks. I still plan on trying to catch what has remained. How long until the new queen will emerge and mates? Looking at the weather the best day is mid next week since we are in a cycle of t-storms from now until next Tuesday. There is Friday that looks good, but if the queen is mating can she be catch coming back or should I wait a few weeks?

13. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Get it set up ASAP. Try to keep the new queen from mating. It should make for a quick trap out.

14. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

ok how long from swarm to new queeen or does it matter?

15. Iddee

Iddee New Member

You should be safe for 5 days after the swarm normally. Of course, bad weather may have delayed the swarm and ate up those days. Just get it on ASAP and hope for a quick exit.

16. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

Thanks I am back in town tomorrow and will get it done in the morning.

17. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

My bad Iddee; I'm new to all of this. I made it back out this afternoon and installed the trap out cone and bait hive. There seemed to be a lot of bees to me, but what do i know. I would not have believe there to be so many active bees since the hive swarmed Wednesday (size of a girls basketball). I servived and came away with my first sting; not as bad as I remember them being when I was a kid.

[attachment=1:huwj8ti8]Nice close-up of the cone.jpg[/attachment:huwj8ti8]

Here is another picture of the bait hive. Bees were already going in, but not coming out of the BH. I took it as a good sign.

[attachment=0:huwj8ti8]Bait Hive.jpg[/attachment:huwj8ti8]

Keep you posted thanks for the tips and yes its a long way up there.

Attached Files:

18. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Where is the bait hive compared to the cone? If it were correct, it would be seen in the first pic.

19. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

8-12 inches, I probably need to move it closer for greater success. Bees were moving into it as evening approched so maybe I'll get luck.

20. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

That picture was taken before i placed the bait hive. It was about 8". I check it today and they were hanging bees in the bait hive on 2 bars. I moved the bait ive to with in 2" of opening. The cone is resting on the bait hive and bees were walking out of cone and into box. There is still and small beard on screen and tons of bees still behind the screen with lots of activity. I am guessing this could take awhile to empty this tree even after the swarm earlier in the week.