Mating flights

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by PerryBee, Jul 13, 2012.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Question:
    I have a hive (cut-out that is sitting in someone's back yard right now) that has decided to requeen itself. I noticed when going through and discovering this, that there were very few drones (if any at all). I was going to move something there to help out with this but have not as yet.
    How far will virgin queens fly during their mating flights? I know that there are bees within a 2 mile area, will that suffice, or should I go through with the bother of moving another hive to this yard?

2. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

In Larry Conner's Bee Sex Essentials, he cites a study that says the average distance for a queen mating flight is around 2km, with a maximum distance of 5km.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

""How far will virgin queens fly during their mating flights?""

How far will a teenager go to find some action?? :shock:

Don't worry. She will find plenty of guys just waiting for her appearance.

4. 11Nick

11Nick New Member

That's a great analogy. lol

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

The drones have one purpose in life. If they're anywhwere in the vicinity, rest assured, they'll do what nature designed for them. No need to put extra fellows in the mating range unlelss you are interested in exposing the queen to special out-of-the-area genes.
    But for that, it you want to be certain, you'd have to turn to artificial insemination, and that's a whole new ball game.

6. Mosti

Mosti New Member

Interesting Perry. I have yet to learn about beelife. So drones will be out waiting for a queen? ...and assuming that a colony has a good number of drones will they get out with the virgin queen and mate right?..........and drones get out of the hive like foragers do...only difference is they dont bring in supplies...right or have I got it all wrong??

7. CharlieB

CharlieB New Member

8. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Great link----and it leads to other good videos as well.

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Very nice link CharlieB :thumbsup:

Mosti - Yup, that's what drones do, in fact, it's about all they do. :lol: In nature, the idea of drone congregation areas I believe is to try and ensure that queens will mate with drones from other hives rather than just those of her own colony. The idea that I am still trying to grasp is what determines a drone congregation area, and how would virgin queens know where they are?

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Maybe the big Budweiser sign outside? :thumbsup: :lol: