Mating nuc. New expierence

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Wolfer, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Wolfer

Wolfer New Member

I've raised several nucs since I started keeping bees. A few failed but most did not. In the past if the nuc or sometimes the parent hive built multiple cells I just let nature take its course.
    This summer I divided a ten frame deep into 4 two frame mating nucs. The girls started and capped two cells. I put them in the mating nuc and they hatched 3 days apart.
    The first one started laying 10 days after hatching.
    The second mating nuc was getting crowded due to bees hatching from the original frames so I moved them to another box and added another frame of brood.
    Its been 16 days, still no eggs but I have a capped queen cell on the last frame of brood I added.
    I didn't see the queen tonight but I did see her 3 days ago.
    If she's gonna lay I suspect she better be doing it.

As soon as the first queen had larva I moved her to a ten frame deep and added a frame of capped brood.
    Shes doing good. This weekend I'll add another frame of brood and will continue doing this until I feel their strong enough to winter.

Time will tell on the other. I thought it odd that they would supersede( for lack of a better word ) when the queen hadn't started laying yet.
    My thoughts are that the bees on the frame I added saw themselves as queen less. If she started laying soon they would probably tear the new cell down.
    ​Any thoughts? Woody

2. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Even if she was in the hive and a virgin she should have tried to tare down the newly built cells

3. Wolfer

Wolfer New Member

Went back in today. No sign of the queen. I don't know where she went but I don't believe she's there anymore.
    Should have another by weekend. We will see what happens. Woody

4. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Some times you need to know when to throw in the towel, pull the plug, and start fresh next year. This is going to sound harsh but, DON'T WASTE ANY MORE TIME OR RESOURCES ON THIS NUC! The bees are old, HARDER TO REQUEEN! It is getting late in the season, HARDER TO REQUEEN! The nuc will be weak and singled out for robbing, STRESSFUL AT LEAST IF NOT TOTAL NUC ANNIHILATION! If she is accepted and starts laying, will she have time to raise enough winter bees? Then you will be adding brood from another hive INCREASED RISK TO THE QUEEN PREFORMING THIS ACTIVITY! And after all this there is no guarantee they will survive the winter. Put the bees where they can do some good, helping another hive assuring that it survives the winter. Buy a queen and split the hive in the spring.

5. Wolfer

Wolfer New Member

Apis
    this is exactly the advice I'd give to someone else in this situation. There was a time when I babeyed them along and tried to pull them thru. That ship has sailed. If anything I'm too quick to combine anymore.

However I'm in a slightly different situation right now. When I started this last nuc I only needed one queen to be where I wanted. The bees started two cells so I just let it ride. First queen is working good so I don't need another at the time being.

Four of the queens I have here at home were born this year. Their laying like young queens do. I have bees and brood running out my ears. If this cell makes a laying queen I can not only give her drawn comb but that drawn comb will be full of something either brood or honey. I'm going to let this one play out just for curiosity's sake. If we have an early frost or for if it's not looking good ill combine at the last minute.
    ​most of the bees in this hive were born in the last month and there's a good many that are not born yet on the frame with the queen cell. Thanks,Woody

6. Wolfer

Wolfer New Member

Well, I have a new queen wobbling along on the frame. The bees were dragging her dead sister across the bottom. The body appeared to me to be a day or so from hatching.
    I leave for Colo next thur and be back on the 14th. I'll check for eggs then. Woody

7. Wolfer

Wolfer New Member

Well I made it back from soggy Colorado. She had one frame of eggs and small larva. I gave her a frame of capped brood and started feeding. Internally of course. Soon as this brood hatches I'll give her another. It's possible she will need another but most don't. It's getting late here.

8. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Wolfer, what breed of bees do you have. If they are carni or russian or crosses I think they make their own rule books. I have had capped empty queen cells and cells started and then torn down and cells started when a queen had three solid capped frames of brood and a full frame of eggs. I squished those cells; they are just playing games with me. Right now I have more bees than I need so they cant threaten me with games. They sure did all summer though!

9. Wolfer

Wolfer New Member

My bees started as Russian. But I have bred with the locals until there's not much Russian left.