Mating Nuclei

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by rail, Nov 23, 2012.

1. rail

rail New Member

I need to fabricate mating nuclei, please share your knowledge and experience with what works for you?

2. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Custom Dadant have double nuc boxes the length being as wide as a super so 16 1/4" long and each side is wide enough for 2 frames and a frame feeder or 3frames on each side so 11 " wide. The frame top bar is 15 3/8" long and uses standard Dadant end bars. The reason I have gone with this design is the frames can be puled and placed in a super cross ways on a regular hive when queen mating is done so the brood can emerge. You can place the super on a regular hive for getting the foundation drawn out. Frames from multiple nucs can be put in standard modified Dadant Super and left with a queen to run as a colony and over wintered. These are standard super size so existing bottom boards inner covers covers and queen excluders work with them.

3. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Mating nucs

Each year I raise a few queens to use in my apiary. The Q's are raised in nuc boxes. Each nuc box will hold 4 or 5 of the brood frames used in my hives. These nucs can be used for Q rearing and other purposes.

For mating Q's, I set the box up with 2 or 3 brood size frames and one or two division/dummy boards. I prefer to place the mating nucs a few yards away from the full hives. I usually find that I need to produce more mating nucs than I use ---- miss-mates and unsatisfactory Q's.

The larger box is more stable than a smaller one and the frames in the nuc can be used back into a full hive ----- no special mini-nuc frames.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

5. rail

rail New Member

If I use a 10 frame deep divided into 2 five frame nuc's what is the best placement for entrances?

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Opposite ends....

7. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

If divided into 4 - 2 frames one on each side

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I often ask folks about what purpose they are doing something and your question Rail bring this inquire as to intent to the front burner.

the kind of nuc you wish to employ to me is driven somewhat by the purpose for which you are trying to rear queens. if you goal is nucs in full depth frames then the attached mating nuc should work just fine although in recent times I have gone to Jester EZ nuc boxes for a number of reason. on the other hand if I am simply trying to get a few queen mated to sell then I employ some variation of baby nuc boxes. in either choice I like 5 frame boxes but I am not sworn to make these up initially with 5 frames and as a matter of practice often times do NOT. not stuffing the box full of frames allow you to take a peek as the queen rearing process evolves and to add things if a nuc box is under populated or has little or no feed. the smaller stuff is less robust and the larger stuff just requires more bee resources.

9. fatbeeman

fatbeeman New Member

hello
    if you have a full time job the mini nucs take lot of time to manage. but if you want just a few a queen castle might be the thing. but if you want to sell a few the 5 frame nuc is best choice,they can store more honey and don't require regular feeding. you can pull a queen or when its get strong just put into full size hive.
    Don