Maxant!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by crazy8days, Jul 15, 2013.

1. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

With ALL my problems this year I do have 2 hives with supers on. I use deeps and one hive has 2 so, I should have a fair amount. 2 1/2-3 weeks ago I finally had rat-holed enough money to but a Maxant 3100P. They tell me today it will be another week. White clover is still popping it's head up so thinking the main flow has ended but bees still have nectar to bring in from the clover. My question is should I be getting this honey off or will it be ok to leave on till I get my extractor?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

DO NOT take it off until you are ready to extract it unless you have a way to freeze it. SHB will totally destroy it in a week.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Smart for squirreling away the dough to buy quality stuff. :thumbsup:

4. CharlieB

CharlieB New Member

MAXANT! Very wise choice!

5. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Leave it on it is much easier to extract at the temp of bee hive warm than basement cool. Pull and extract the same day if possible before the honey cools from the beehive temp. As Iddee stated left on the hive the bees will defend it against SHB, wax moths, ants, mice,and any other vermin after a free meal or a place to live.

6. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I wholeheartedly agree with everything stated above! :thumbsup:

7. bamabww

bamabww New Member

You'll love the 3100P. You may not can do this but once the honey starts getting capped, I'll pull off the capped frames as soon as I have 3 (or multiples of 3) that are ready and extract them as soon as possible. All the other beekeepers (that I know about) around me wait until the end of the season and remove everything at once. I've had numerous customers tell me my honey taste better than the other honey and I believe it has something to do with getting it while its "fresh" so to speak.

I know there's a bunch more that goes into the taste than when you harvest it but so far so good with my method. It does involve more work and cleaning but in my opinion the results I get make it worth it. YMMV.