May have another one hooked

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Bsweet, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Got a phone call from a lady last night that worked with my wife. She said her thirteen year old daughter wants a bee hive for her birthday, and that she wanted info on where to start. Gave her basic needs, recommended some starter books and offered her and her daughter a feild trip this weekend when I go into some of my hives, I did this to see what kind of attitude and desire the young girl has. Who knows I might have a Nuc,split or a swarm call bees that need a new home.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I did about the same thing 4 years ago for forum member "Wally's baby beek". The whole family is now into beekeeping and she and Mama beek are working on their master beekeeper certification. Do all you can for her if she takes you up on your offer. You will receive an even greater reward than she will if she is successful.
    I know I did.

3. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

As Iddee said, that's what sets the hook. Seeing the wonder in faces of folks who have never been around bees is one of the coolest things. You can feel their excitement.

4. Tia

Tia New Member

It's what keeps me going in my "crusade to help the honey bee." Despite the master beekeeper program, the light doesn't really go on in a newbee's eyes until you take them into the bee yard!

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

the first time visit to the the bee yard is good, the first time inside of the hive is even better, the first swarm is just the icing on the cake (well at least in my book). Most don't realize just how many bees are in a hive and can be over whelmed sometimes. seeing the eggs, brood, nectar, honey, pollen, bee bread, new white comb, bees hatching out, the queen, big fuzzy drones, how heavy a frame of honey is, puffing the smoker, getting to wear the cool veil thingy, running your finger through a comb of honey and getting to taste it, seeing a queen cell, does this ever end, no it doesn't, never gets old I love it.

I sure do hope she likes her new adventure and gets hooked, I did at 7 or 8 years old.