maybe a dumb question, queen or no queen

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by powwowman, Jun 11, 2014.

1. powwowman

powwowman New Member

Ok, I had a hive to swarm, (lost the swarm) found several queen cells so I placed one in a nuc box with three frames of bees and larva. A month goes by, in the brood box the brood all hatched and cells empty, and queen cell empty , but no sign of her anywhere, I checked several times over the next three weeks but still no queen to be found...

TODAY I found larva! (But it started to rain so I didn't get to look further)
    Does this mean the queen maybe was out on her mating time when I checked or maybe I simply missed her?

OR
    could the larva be the result of workers desperately trying to keep things going without a queen? I have heard they will lay eggs. I'll check again this weekend, hopefully.

2. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

I have a few hives that no matter how hard I look I never see the queen, in your case rather then opening it up over and over and hunting wait another week and see how the larva are capped, if its a semi flat cap its worker brood and the queens there, if the cap on the brood looks like the eraser on a pencil thats dronebrood and you have a laying worker or a drone laying queen, either of the second is bad and you can at that point add new young brood from another hive or just shake them mess out, pics would help when you do go in. hope this helps.

3. CROWEmtnFARMS

CROWEmtnFARMS New Member

Watch n see if ther toting pollen in. If they arevthat means the queen is layin

4. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

A queen lays the egg standing in the middle of the bottom of the cell. a laying workers will lay the eggs more towards the cell sides and they will lay multiple eggs en a single cell.
    If it is a laying worker shake the bees out 50+ feet from the hive and let the bees join other colonies.

5. powwowman

powwowman New Member

Thanks, Didn't see eggs, only capped brood and curled up larva in the cells. The brood seemed to be both worker and drone cells. Still didn't see the queen. But a lot of brood and larva.
    I didn't know you could shake bees in the bee yard and they be able to join other colonies. That's good to know. Thanks

6. powwowman

powwowman New Member

Thanks Zookeep, The brood seemed to be both worker and drone cells. a lot of brood and larva. Still no queen in sight, but evidence seems to indicate she's there somewhere.