Maybe I am not ment to be a Beekeeper

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Medic1259, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

Ok so every already heard about my problems with my order for my first hives. Then found another suppler who seamed like a god sent. Ok price promised that I would have them before my nuc gets here .. every thing was ordered assembled and painted. Well received the order last night . I was like a Kid on Christmas as I piled up home and saw the too Big boxes. So I take them in and open them and... they are Not painted ... Not a big deal , but I did pay for them to be painted. So I email costumer service and they apology and offer to refund me the difference and a few extra bucks for my inconvenience. So now I have The Nuc should be here around 4/15. Well here is where the Oh crap happens. About 9pm last night my wife goes into the basement to change the laundry from the washer to the dryer and I hear screams... I go see whats the matter and find 2 inches of water in the basement. The washer overflowed. So when it was filling up with water it never stoped for 3 hrs. I put in a claim with my home owners insurance. So a 40 yard Dumpster will be here in the morning and look like I will be doing the basement over the weekend instead of painting. Maybe ther is some special force that dosen't want me to be a beekeeper.

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Sounds like you are having some set backs for sure. The boxes really don't paint, the bees do not care.

Good luck with the clean up and sorry to hear of all of the troubles.

3. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

Thanks G3 .. but wont the boxes get ruined if not painted?

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Not really, I have had some in the weather for several years now and do not look too bad, mostly sun faded. The paint will of course extend the life of them.

5. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

no as you can ALWAYS paint them, you will be getting additional equipment, relplace the unpainted with the painted, then paint ....or paint in place not getting too close to entrance or screen the girls for 30 minutes as you paint and allow to dry. Could clear coat but thats pretty nasty stuff even for us to smell let alone the bees.

6. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

G3 tell me if you think this will work.. if I dont get them painted by the time the bees come... could I change the box after they are settled in? I do have 2 deeps ,2 med, and 2 SBB ..

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

what is that Murphy's law might say about this?

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Medic sounds like a plan to me.

9. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

I figure it out like this.. the bees come and I screw it up and they leave within a week..

10. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Like Barry says, don't worry about the bees, they will love their new home, painted or not. You will find (like Barry said) that you will be getting additional equipment before you know it and simply swap out the unpainted gear. I will be doing that myself this year, a lot of my gear is in need of refurbishment in order to extand it's life so I will transfer a lot of my hives into new boxes and then take my time fixing, sanding, repainting the older ones.
    Sorry to hear about your basement. :sad:

P.S. - You have put up with us this long, :wink: somehow I think you were meant to keep bees! :mrgreen:

11. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

12. riverrat

riverrat New Member

you aint getting out of it easy. To many behind ya here on the forum making sure you make it.:thumbsup:

13. Iddee

Iddee New Member

That's not an omen. That's just a true introduction to beekeeping. Get used to it. :razz: :lol:

You have two setups. Install the nuc in one and wait a week or more to let them settle. Between one week and 6 months, paint the other hive. Change them out at that time, then paint the other one.

tecumseh
    ""what is that Murphy's law might say about this?""

Murphy says you will be called about a swarm and will have both hives full before you can paint either...:rolling:

14. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

Everyone on this forum really stands behind each other. The members here really are a support for me. being a "Yankee" and not having very much local support. I feel lucky to find frends accross the country and around the world.
    Thanks to you all...

15. RayMarler

RayMarler New Member

I've not painted any of my boxes in 4 years now. They seem to be holding up fine. I figure the paint might keep the wood from breathing as well, but I'm sure it would last longer if painted. Painting seems to be so much trouble and the bees like it just fine.

16. Omie

Omie New Member

Don't worry about the unpainted boxes.
    Install your bees, let them get comfortable for a few weeks in their new hive. Meanwhile, paint the other empty boxes and let dry and air out thoroughly for a few days. Then one sunny day when the bees are happy, just move the bee boxes one at a time to the side, replace the bottomboard with a painted one. Then put the painted deep on it and transfer your frames of bees one at a time over into the painted box(es). same with covers. Then brush the straggler bees off the old boxes and take them away to paint them.
    One important thing though- don't paint any surfaces that the bees will be living in- only paint the outside surfaces of everything that will be exposed to the elements. Leave the interior surfaces of the hive unpainted. :)

17. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

there are several portion to Murphy's law... the one that came to mind was his premise that when things went wrong they would go wrong at the most inopportune time.

a medic snip..
    being a "Yankee"

tecumseh..
    well there is that but we do sometimes allow folks like Perry and Omie in the front door and on most occasion don't require for them to ride at the back of the bus. sometimes of course we feel obliged to throw them under the bus when their yankee ways become too obvious.

nice post #14... and thank you from everyone here for that very nice sentiment.

18. Zulu

Zulu Member

You can even paint them later when the bees are home.....

sorry to hear of the mess.....

19. riverrat

riverrat New Member

make sure you send in a bee to do a waggle dance letting them know there is wet paint on the landing board

:rolling:

20. rast

rast New Member

riverrat :thumbsup:
    I do hate that happened to you. Just life.

By the way, I was going to get round to painting these bout 3 yrs ago.

[​IMG]