Maybe the last look see of 2009.

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by alleyyooper, Nov 11, 2009.

1. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Since We are having well above normal temps here. Kare and I decide to take a look at the bees in the out yard and get away from the phone ringing.
    Most are in the top box despite the colder than normal temps of twoi weeks ago. We also witnessed several colonies throwing out drones. I would have though the drones all gone long ago, got to keep track of than maybe able to raise and mate queens latter into the fall than before.
    Got to admit those girls are sort of cute with their tails raised and the stinnger sticking out fanning like crazy. some even had drops of venom on the end of the stinger.

Then I got to the Christmas tree farm. Sorry to say I had hate in my heart, still do. But we decided if we can find the time with all the stuff happening we will move thos bees out before deer season opens Sunday the 15th.
    Kept being told the hunting blind would be moved. It was. Up on a gravity box on a farm wagon in front of all the hives. If we don't find the time before the 15th I guess the 15th will work for us anyway. I sure have learned to hate all the disrespectful Southeren Michigan deer hunters.

Went to a old former beekeepers place today where we have bees since he stopped keeping them back in 2006. He is a real decent fellow. We had a good visit and I forgot about that deer blind for a while. He said the bees are going crazy where his rain gutters have wore a hole so it is muddy for a long time after it rains. He said he counter 349 bees in the hole on Monday in a half hour. He like me wondered what they are doing with all that water? I said dulating the honey to make it last longer.

:( Al

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

well I must say alley I kind of know where you are comin' from with deer hunting/stand problem...

bein' straight up I really enjoyed and have some fond memories of hunting quite a bit as a young person, but over the years and based on several incidents it seems to me that deer hunters (specifically) seem to loose their collective minds as deer season approaches. by opening day they are just absolutely insane and seem to have lost all respect for anyone else's rights or freedoms.

matter of fact I have had so much problem with poachers and trespassers on one bit of property that I own that I have been FORCED to lease the hunting rights off to the local game warden. for now it seems the running thru my fences with 4 wheeler is pretty much done.

3. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Contact the local PETA chapter, detailing where the blind is. They will have a posse of pot bangin groupies out there that first morning. :eek:

I still like the idea of crappin in the blind.....a few times..... :thumbsup:

4. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

I always loved deer season, get up early, feed the men folk a good- hot- stick- to- the- ribs kind of breakfast, and then send 'em out to bring home the groceries while me and my aunts and cousins and grandma just enjoyed the day of girlie quiet in the house. :yahoo:

Since we've moved out here I've come to despise most of the moronic, buck fever having, wasteful, cruel, disrespectful, brutes who call themselves hunters. Here apparently a person can turn their dogs loose to chase the deer through everyone and anyone's property, shoot the deer wherever they stand from the side of the road and then trespass to claim what parts and pieces of the carcass they may be interested in and leave the rest laying to rot and be dealt with by the violated resident of the property that they and their dogs have spent the day frustrating. It's like watching Barney Fife try break up some sort of terrorist sleeper cell! :dash1:

I feel for you Al, why can't people just be a little bit kind and respectful? Personally I would welcome them to their blind with a nice little candle, maybe a few of them, and I would make sure that they were very well placed. :twisted:

5. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Yeah, deer season. I can respect an honorable hunter, but I live next to (someone else's) large fields, and every buck season it's the same thing. Pick-up trucks parked out there all day. Then, come evening, I'll walk out and there are empty beer cans everywhere, and, more often than not, an abandoned doe carcass thrown over the bank. Gives the decent hunters a bad name.

6. Walt B

Walt B New Member

I was going to have a fit, but suffice to say:

When we moved to Texas I thought the people were trying to protect the land by covering it with litter. :cry:

When we moved to our present location (the place was empty for over a year), we took out 6 garbage bags full of litter from around our little 1 acre pond: bait containers, beer cans, big gulp cups...everything. :mad:

So, the "inconsiderates" (and I hope they are a minority) are everywhere. But after a couple of years here, everyone knows "you don't go fish'in there, and don't ask twice!" ;)

Walt

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

We been fishin' that pond for 20 years. Now that dang yankee done moved in and closed it. Ain't right, I tell you! :rolling: :rolling:

8. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Some of it is just the mentality of the times. When I moved in to this place, I hauled 4 large garbage bags of OIL FILTERS off the bank. I stopped counting at 100. Ten years later, I still find 2 or 3 every year, working their way up. The farmer just pitched 'em out of site. No matter that the drinking water comes from a spring at the bottom of the same hill...

9. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Oddly enough, some of the folks are almost clever. One day my wife returned from town and a car pulled in the driveway behind her. She got out and the guy from the car said, "That Mr. Brown that lives here said I could fish here anytime I wanted."

She said, "Oh? A thin gentleman with white hair about 6 feet tall?" He said, "Yep, that's him."

Her response, "Well, that's not the Mr. Brown that lives here."

The guy got in the car and left.

Walt