Me, Adam, and 450 feet of pine!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PerryBee, Dec 13, 2012.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Adam drove down to see me and together we went to the local mill that had 450 feet of pine they had milled to 7/8".
    300' of 9 3/4" @ $.50/ft and 150' of 8" @$.40/ft (to be cut down to 6 3/4") waiting for us. Taxes in we paid $241.50.
    Brought it home and set things up to cut all the pieces to length, even had to use a couple empty deeps to put the saw on! :lol:
    I didn't remember to start taking pictures until we were nearly done. :doh:
    Adam ended up with enough to make 31 or 32 deeps and 10 mediums (he figured on 30 deeps and 10 mediums)
    I ended up with 20 deeps and 15 mediums (I figured on 18 deeps and 14 mediums)
    That last 2 pics show the waste or off-cuts.
    Adam loaded up his VW wagon and after leaving behind a Christmas present (an epi-pen and a hand held weigh scale for me, thanks Adam) he had to head back to the city.

More wood 001.jpg More wood 002.jpg More wood 003.jpg More wood 004.jpg More wood 005.jpg More wood 006.jpg More wood 007.jpg More wood 008.jpg More wood 009.jpg

All in all I call it a good day! :thumbsup: :lol:

P.S. - Don't mind the hillbilly fence in the background of pics #1 and #6. I had to do something to stop Rosie the greyhound from "littering" in the neighbours back yard. :lol:

2. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I don't see nothing wrong with the fence? :grin: Jack

3. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Hey Perry, we're almost in the middle of December. Where's the snow? Have you moved south? And another question---why didn't you let Adam take a photo of you? I'd like to see how your new beard is progressing. :eek:ldtimer:

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Like efmesch said, and we might get to see why Adam left the weight scale.:lol: Jack

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Alright, alright, already.
    Here it is.
    Beard 004.jpg
    The beard that is, the snow can wait as long as it wants. :lol:

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

You said the lumber was milled to 7/8" thickness, hope you took that into account when you cut out your boxes. The inside dimension is what needs to stay the same regardless of the stock thickness. If you cut out the sides and ends the same as 3/4" stock the inside of the box just closed up by 1/4".

Just something to think about.

7. Lburou

Lburou Member

You have me googling saw mills in north Texas :)

8. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

What a great bargain! Lots of new woodenware (I'm discovering you can never have enough!).

And now that it's cut up, you won't be bored! :rolling:

The whiskers are looking good! :thumbsup:

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

G3, all standard gear up here is 7/8" thickness. A lot of DIY guys go 3/4" because it's more readily available but when/if you go to use the two together there's the problem you describe. By keeping inside dimensions the same you now have narrower boxes and places for water to sit and rot your boxes.
    Once you have made your choice you pretty much should live with it, either way.

10. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Good deal!!!:thumbsup:

I guess the 7/8" would give a tad bit more insulation for the tundra bees........or is it that pesky metric stuff :lol:

11. Adam Foster Collins

Adam Foster Collins New Member

It was fitting to be working on the site of the soon-to-be-built Brandt Honey House. You caught a swarm not 5 paces from that spot, and with our work today, we're just adding to the 'bee-zen energy' of the place! I think we should christen it with a glass of mead when the time comes.

Photos # 6-9 must've been taken after I left, as you had some left to cut when I had to run. Table looks clean in those photos, so you must've been all finished. A respectable scrap pile there too. Not too much, and most of that was cut out to avoid knots.

I must say, my car smelled pretty nice for the hour's drive home. The late afternoon sun on the drive warmed up the air and that fresh-cut pine scent permeated the whole car. I'm glad to have that wood cut and secured, as Spring will be here before you know it, and I want to have a bunch of gear ready.

I really hope the bees winter well...

Anyway, it was a pleasure as always, and I thank you for helping me get that done. My little VW is okay with the wood once it's cut up, but it's tricky with the 12 foot lengths...

When I got home, Angie was pretty happy to see I'd brought home some of your beeswax candles and was particularly thrilled to get some of those Christmas ornaments you make. That wax has a great smell.

We had a two hour meeting downtown right after I got back, so the wood's actually still in the car!

Adam

12. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

Great photos. Thanks for sharing. I envy youz guyz with your ability to work with wood.

13. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

The 7/8" thickness goes back to when standards were fire established for lumber. in the 1950,s the mills got government to allow smaller standards. before planers dimensional lumber was cut rough at 1"X10" and if it was planned the dressed size was 7/8" X 9 5/8" in the 1950's the lumber industry adopted a grading standard and because grading would assure the [FONT=&quot]structural[/FONT] strength of the lumber, they were aloud to decrease the size of the lumber. Now you buy a 2X4 you pay for the value of the sawdust and shavings to dress the lumber to 1 1/2" X 3 1/2".
    if you dado the box ends, the box sides are cut the same length whether you use 7/8" or 3/4" wood. The advantage of using 7/8" stock is the hand holes can bee a little deeper and the top of the box where rabbet is the top edge is thicker at 1/2" compared to 3/8"

14. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

You know you're a beekeeper when you tell your wife you bought pine air freshener for the car, and it turns out to be enough wooden ware to build 40 boxes!

:rolling::rolling::rolling:

15. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Good to see your beard coming along--by the time the snow arrives you'll be ready to give it a warm greeting with your insulated chin.
    :coolphotos::coolphotos:

16. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Let me know what you find - but then again, Perry lives where it rains and they grow trees...

Great price Perry - and nice pics!

17. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

so with it all totaled up what did you end up paying for a deep and a medium each? cause Im spending the winter :)lol: what of it we get) building mediums and frames, 1st 15 boxes and 150 frames arrived today from mann lakes.

18. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

I worked it out to $3.14 per box for the lumber.

19. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Daniel is very close.
    Actually there may be a slight variance between Adam and myself. He is building 8 frame equipment where I run 10 frame. The only difference of course is the length of the end pieces. He may have ended up with a few more boxes using less wood.
    I roughly figured around $3.50 a box tops. The mill is decent, both times I have bought wood, I ended up being able to crank out more boxes than what I had figured so I am guessing they throw a few extra feet on the lift. By cutting wisely (Adam was marking and I was cutting) there was very little waste. There is a minor amount of "rough cut" on one side of a few pieces but I just turn that to the inside (I have yet to have the bees complain).
    A jar of honey after the first purchase goes a long way. :wink:

20. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I have found that a jar of honey will sweeten most transactions.:thumbsup: Jack