Mead Question...

Discussion in 'Products of the Hive' started by DonMcJr, Aug 11, 2012.

1. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

I'm new to making mead but I'm gonna give it a shot...my 1st question is can you make wine out of maple syrup? I tap trees and make maple syrup so that's why I'm curious...

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I would think so, if it's sweet and will ferment...........? :???:

3. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

I have made several meads and Perry is correct, you are using it as a sweetner in place of sugar or honey. Not sure how it would turn out using just maple syrup and no other base; strawberry, peach etc. Just make sure that you have a hydrometer and are able to check the SG prior to pitching the yeast. You want the SG level around 1.085.

4. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

There are some fine meads being produced commercially now. There is a bee center sells honey and every hive product there is to sell. He is on the tour bus, stops so has lots of traffic thru his store. He imports and sells every variety of honey he can get. He started making and selling mead a couple of years ago and makes mead out of different floral honeys, the tasts boque and sweetness to dry are noticeably different with each one. There have been a few really good meads entered in the fair over the years the best I've ever had was 3 years back. I have had some poor tasting ones also, All the alcohol was there but smelled bad and tasted worse. Good luck and share a bottle with friends... Cheers

5. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Zookeep, and efmesch here on the forum both are wine makers, and Zulu is a home brewer, I'm not sure whether he makes wine/mead or not. I don't make them-I just drink them.:grin:

6. Zulu

Zulu Member

To answer the original question -yes.

Have heard you can make directly from sap, but never tried nor tasted. Would start a small test batch next spring.

As for mead, my first mead is nearing racking soon. Will be a year before great.

Beer questions , fire away, brewed 6 times in last 2.5 months.