Mead Recipes

Discussion in 'Products of the Hive' started by Zulu, May 4, 2011.

1. Zulu

Zulu Member

Re: Mead enjoys a Renaissance

4-5 gallons Quality fresh Cider or a Press Cider kit

Add approx 4.5 lbs Clover or other light Honey to get a gravity of 1.065 (I just used local)
    Yeast Red Star Cote des Blanc or WYeast sweet cider
    Add Yeast Conditioner and also Pectin Enzyme if cloudy Cider

Watch fermentation closely - 5-7 days to 1.010 gravity, add sorbates and cool to stabilize.

back sweeten to taste with organic juice concentrate , carbonate (I force using CO2) and bottle, keep cool.

This one I have not made but one of our members won gold with it
    Apple butter cyser

6 Gallons
    12 lbs Honey
    2 lbs light malt extract
    3 lbs demara sugar
    1lb Apple butter
    4 Gallons Fresh Cider
    Wyeast Eau de vie 3347 and Lalvin D47 White wine
    Cinnamon, Nutmeg and Cloves
    2lbs Golden Raisins

Cinnamon and Cloves go into primary, Raisins and Nutmeg into secondary

2. Zulu

Zulu Member

3. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

Thanks I will definately check it out....How long do you age prior to bottling? I know my fruit wines I usually age at least 6 months prior to bottling but have heard that Mead takes longer to mellow out/clear.

Thanks again!

4. Zulu

Zulu Member

Yep Mead does take a bit longer, most of us put it away for at least one year, but I have tasted some at 3 months too, and also "lost" a bottle and found it 3 years later , super. One member brought a 6 year old Ginger Mead that was awesome

YMMV

5. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

Thanks! I will let you know how it turns out.....In a year or so.

6. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

I started a batch of mead the other day. By my calculations, it might be ready for Christmas. I used a recipe I found on the web for easy mead. It doesn't require any fancy equipment (not in the budget). For a gallon mead it requires 3# of honey, a few raisins, an orange, a packet of yeast and a gallon of spring water. You mix all in the gallon jug of spring water, place a balloon, with a hole pierced in it, over the opening for a week. After a week, transfer the mixture to a jar for storage. Checked on my concoction last night and it was fermenting away.

7. Zulu

Zulu Member

True - mead does not squire fancy equipment because you don't need to boil. The balloon is just a way to keep out other flora ( yeast). A bubbler is safer and only $5 but a cover of just alu foil will also work.

The type of yeast is important. Old recipes said bread yeast but don't use it. So cheap to buy dry yeast for wine or beer and much better taste

8. Zulu

Zulu Member

Best book is : "The compleat mead maker". By Ken Schramm Easily bought on Amazon. Also as an ebook now.

9. srvfantexasflood

Hey, I'm reading that right now. I checked it out from our bee club library. There is some very detailed info he provides.
    Well, I used bread yeast. I hope I didn't waste 3 pounds of precious honey. Time will tell.
    I don't know where to get beer and wine yeast, except online.

10. Zulu

Zulu Member

You have a home brew store in town on e Sante Fe rd. Called home brew pro shoppe

11. srvfantexasflood

Well, I'm embarrassed. :oops: I drive right by that place every single day going to work. I will have to check it out. In the mean time, I guess I will see how my one gallon concoction turns out.
    Thanks for the help Zulu.

12. Zulu

Zulu Member

No problem. We only see what we are looking for many times.

Also the 1 gal - remember to let it age.

13. riverrat

riverrat New Member

the last mead i made before i jumped on the wagon. was as simple recipe
    23lbs of honey
    pack of cuvee yeast
    fill the rest of a 6 gallon mush bucket up with water and a airlock
    let set a week stir once a day after a week
    rack it over into a 5 gallon carboy with a airlock and watch the magic

not sure what the alcohol content was but a glass or 2 would put you down for the night. Im told that for every pound of honey figure 1 percent alcohol up to 16lbs then it tapers off. people that drank mine had a name for it but i will refrain from publishing that in public

14. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Zulu will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think different yeasts die at different alcohol levels, so the percentage is determined by the yeast used rather than the amount of sugar. As long as there's enough sugar to feed the yeast until that percentage is reached.

15. Zulu

Zulu Member

Correct. Beer yeast in 90% of cases will die at 10% -12%
    Wine and champagne go to 15% or maybe 16%
    There are some special yeasts that will go close to 20 but only in special conditions.

There are methods to increase all these that but requires daily additions during the main fermentation and adding new working yeast plus more sugar after primary. Only for advanced brewers / mead makers.

Alcohol content is a factor of the original sugar content ( specific gravity) and yeast ability to convert it.
    Flavors ( and off flavors) happen mostly during primary - ie first few days. The conditioning to smooth out things is also important - that can take 6-12 months.

16. srvfantexasflood

I checked out the brew store. I picked up some yeast for a sweet mead and will start another batch of mead in a milk jug. It will be fun to compare the difference. While I was there I picked up a bag of green coffee beans. I roasted a batch yesterday using the "old popcorn popper" trick.

17. Zulu

Zulu Member

Neat. Always wanted to try roasting myself