MEAD

Discussion in 'Products of the Hive' started by wfuavenger, Mar 12, 2010.

1. wfuavenger

wfuavenger New Member

Okay, it is official... I am insane.

For christmas I got a Mr. Beer home brew kit and have made some really good beers.... A West Coast Pale Ale that is light and citrusy and a High Country Canadian Draft which is mellow and nice.

This got me thinking about mead.... I have always been a little curious about it and I do make my own strawberry vodka, peach vodka and blueberry vodka....

Yesterday I got the urge to make mead bad enough I went to the local brewery supply store and bought 2- 6 gallon carbouys, and all of the equipment to make, rack, ferment and store mead....

I ended up making these two recipes:

Joes Ancient Orange Cinnamon Clove Mead and Chocolate Mead

The chocolate mead is my own variation of the Lady Bridget version here: http://www.ladybridget.com/m/chocmead.html and a few other recipes....

The biggest issue with the chocolate meads is that they take 1-2 years to be mellow and good and not bitter from the cocoa.... So just like a wine, I will have no clue if it is good for a LONG, LONG time.... They also call for back sweetning where you add honey or sugar after fermentation, I used a yeast that stops fermenting at around 14% ABV, so there should be plenty of honey left....

If you want to read my recipes, check out my blog in my signature and feel free to leave comments...

2. SamTHorn

SamTHorn New Member

Great idea. I would never of thought of that. Thanks for sharing.

~ Sam

3. SamgeeGamwise

SamgeeGamwise New Member

Wow! Great idea for chocolate mead! I am definitely going to be checking in to check on how that came out! Its totally worth the wait. I would love to get to a point where I could invest in a commercial Meadery. If I ever I do I'll be looking you up for your perfected chocolate mead recipe!

4. wfuavenger

wfuavenger New Member

I have a few good recipes that seem to have turned out well. And one or two that have some serious pucker factor tartness!

To give everyone an update, I did a lot of racking into secondary's a few weeks ago and taste tested everything. I was a little drunk by the end of it just on taking about 2 shots worth of each.

The chocolate tastes very mellow with a hint of chocolate. It will be one that sneaks up on you and when you get up to get just a little more you will have to sit back down!

The Joes I made is VERY pithy but good. I added 2 cups of OJ out of the carton into secondary to bulk age. It will be pretty good too. Cinnamon made it spicy hot.... I think it might need a dash of nutmeg or something. Not sure yet.

The strawberry chocolate vanilla is VERY strawberry sweet, then goes to a slight pucker. Very nice contrast. The straight up strawberry is like a punch in the mouth pucker. It is like munching on straight cranberries fresh from the farm.... WOW! I am going to have to k-meta/sorbate and backsweeten it. I cannot stand to drink it. I am puckering just thinking about it.....

5. Monie

Monie New Member

You're really making me want to take the plunge!

6. the kid

the kid New Member

I just stopped the fermentation on my honey mead ,, I will have to back sweeten it a little , but I have been told it has a great taste . have some cranberry , choke cherry and ginger waiting to be bottled ,, the ginger is one I have been thinking of trying for about two years ,, don't know about that one yet .. have also been thinking about trying cinnamon ... haven't had a dumper yet ,, one was nothing to write home to Mom about but was ok .. been doing wine off and on for some years now . had a few get to hot ( high alcohol levels ) but , they got drank slowly over a long time.
    I have a few good recipes that seem to have turned out well. And one or two that have some serious pucker factor tartness!
    all you do is back sweeten when they get to dry ..
    you dont need to buy some thing to ferment in ,, go to a bakery and ask for a 4 or 5 gal bucket ,,,,,,,then on line or a home brew shop , and get a $1.50 air lock and yeast
    google
    WinePress.US
    or
    WineMakingTalk.com