Mead

Discussion in 'Products of the Hive' started by PerryBee, Feb 4, 2013.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Since we got yet more snow, and it looks like I will have yet more indoor time, I thought it might be nice to try and make mead.
    I have still got a partial bottle of fantastic apple mead given to me by a German keep.:thumbsup::thumbsup:
    I also remember having my first mead years ago, and I remember it being a raspberry mead. It was fantastic too.
    Upon further research I have discovered that I obviously favour fruit flavoured mead, something I now know is referred to as melomel. I also really like icewine but the $60 for a tiny, skinny little bottle is a killer.
    I have searched youtube and one of the better video explanations is done by an fellow/site called "stormthecastle".
    Has anyone every followed his recipes, or even better, has anyone ever attempted making a melomel?

2. Zulu

Zulu Member

3. vermillion

vermillion New Member

Perrybee, we started in September with some honey from a cutout that had already started to ferment (popping the tops of the canning jars). I started with simple Joes Ancient Orange Mead (JAOM), using yeast from the health food store, and today, that mead is sweet and delicious and very drinkable if you like a sweet mead. This site you reference has broken down the process similarly, with tea as tannin and so on. I say GO FOR IT!

Since September I/we have made a few meads, including a very dry mead with a lemon/earl grey/champagne yeast combination, and more JAOM, and a medium dry cape gooseberry mead that will be wonderful in time.

Of all of these, the JAOM was the easiest, and closest to the icewein in sensibility, and even though it seems unsophisticated, it has met with rave reviews from friends and has the further advantage of being drinkable in a relatively short time.

I think that making mead is much like keeping bees....at some point you just need to jump in!!
    We just two days ago bottled 80 bottles of various, and we are a while from drinking most of it---but we are 5 months nearer than people who havent started yet!

Jump in!

4. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Thanks for the tip! :) I ordered it this morning. it is $13.16 on Amazon.

5. Beeracuda

Beeracuda New Member

My current mead is Bill's 24/7 Prickly Pear Mead. I used 24 lbs of honey and 7 lbs of prickly pear fruit. It is wonderful. :grin:

Bill_mead.JPG

6. Zulu

Zulu Member

sounds very good

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

beercuda writes..
    Prickly Pear Mead

tecumseh...
    wow..... now that sounds like something every proper Texas beekeeper should do.