Medium 8-Frame Hives

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by martytbhawk, Mar 7, 2016.

1. martytbhawk

martytbhawk New Member

I am using (3) 8-Frame Medium boxes for my hives. A fellow beekeeper told me 3 is too many and I should only use 2. I am in Central Alabama.

If 2 is all I need, can I just remove one box and place it with another medium box and try to start another hive?

2. kebee

kebee Active Member

How long have you had bees and are the boxes full of bees, let us know so we can advise you, and welcome to the forum a great place to learn about your bees.

​Ken

3. Ray

Ray Member

We are going to need more information (and so do you). How many frames of what do you have? You have 24 frames; how many brood, how many eggs and how much honey, how much pollen? You want to go to 2 hives of 16, that's 32 frames. You are going to need 6 frames of brood and eggs minimum for each. Your bees need to be bringing in lots of pollen and nectar, or have enough reserves to make up the short fall. You are going to need an extra queen. I'm a Michigan beek: 3- 8 frame mediums would be good enough for a brood chamber and minimal room for winter stores. I would then start adding honey supers and plan on having to winter feed.