medium nucs

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by 2kooldad, Jan 27, 2013.

1. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

anybody see a problem with doing these ???

2. Omie

Omie New Member

Would you use 8 frame medium boxes?

3. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Not a problem, either adjust the amount of brood, bees, and frames to equal standard frames, or adjust price to reflect smaller nuc. If a beekeeper is running all mediums for brood and honey they would prefer nucs made up with medium frames.

4. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

Well i use deep 10 frame brood boxes...an super with mediums...the medium that touches the deep always has lots of brood in it...i went to build some nucs the other day an found i only had boards cur for medium supers...i hate to put the breaks on a full head O steam...so i just made the nuc a five frame medium...i had plenty of brood an food for it so bam....then today in the bee shed i saw a bottom board sitting there an got a wild hair going...took the super with brood in it an made a short hive...im not up north an worried about winter an some beeks in florida use mediums exclusively all the time with no deeps...what the heck....at the moment i dont plan on selling them...its just for increase an shouldnt slow my main hives down at all...there ls a flow on so i figured id give it a try...just wanted to hear some imput on it.

5. Bees In Miami

Bees In Miami New Member

2kooldad: Nothing wrong with brooding with mediums, though you may need 2 or 3... Did you make sure you gave them a good frame with early eggs, too? They will need the early eggs to develop a queen. Drones never stopped flying down here, and likely the same for you, so mating should not be an issue. Just make sure they have a frame with 1-3 day old eggs for making their queen. I had great success with a December split. The hive is still gentle, and the bee made queen is laying efficiently. I plan for another split or two in the next month or so! Bees are booming here now! Keep an eye open, and put the word out for swarm gathering, also! Unless we get kicked in the teeth in February, it looks to be an amazing bee year here in Florida! Best to you and your bees!

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I do it fairly regularly in both medium and shallow depth frames. I found that the medium frames in a deep box (I am specifically talking about jz nuc boxes here) does NOT work so well... I think??? this leaves too much space at bottom which then encourages robbing. I do most of the mediums in 5 frame nuc boxes I construct from essentially scrap (I do hate to waste anything) and most of the shallow depth stuff I do in very old boxes that I have split with a division board. I have robber screen on all this small stuff (in my mind absolutely essential).

7. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

I like not breaking into my deeps to make splits....the medium nucs suit that purpose well...i also like the idea of making splits with the supers...im still not breaking into my deeps an all i gotta do is stick a deep on top of the super till they move up an then reverse the boxes an do it all over again. I end up with a deep thats full with a new super...a super with the bees that came in it that should move up naturaly with already built comb in the super....sounds good to me....see any problems ??

8. Omie

Omie New Member

Isn't it harder to build a hive from such a small nuc: just 5 medium frames? If i were buying a nuc, I'd want either 5 deeps in it, OR 8-10 medium frames in it. I certainly wouldn't want to pay the same for a deep nuc as a medium nuc...much less bees and brood (and food stores for that matter) in the medium if it's only 5 frames.

9. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/downloads/beekeeping/Coates8FrameMediumNucPlans.pdf

I modified the dimensions of the dcoates 5-frame deep nuc to accept 8, medium frames and you can still get 4 nucs out of a sheet of plywood. The plans are on robo's website. I plan on making up a bunch of these soon and stacking them two deep to ensure enough stores for winter. Anything that makes it through winter will be used to replace deadouts and the extras reduced to a single box and sold.

10. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

You are correct on the less bees...im not selling them...just for increase for me...i put in 2 frames of brood an 3 frames of food. I dont like busting my deeps in half....i once read about a guy who took 10 deep hives an split them into 2 frame colonies an got 200 hives...now he musta really been nursing them for awhile to make them succesful...but the fact is he did it...an it worked....if he can do that then what im doing is easy.

11. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

Lol....scuse me...50 hives...im at work cutting lines in da woods with a machette...txt chop txt chop....aint yall glad im driving too ( snicker)

12. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

Ahhemm...txt chop txt chop " not driving " txt chop txt chop... ( wow)

13. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

the mediums as a nuc is fairly new but does work well for people want to reduce the weight of a single box. all mediums is a nice way to go for some folks and I have notice at least one fairly local commercial beekeeper who now only uses medium depth boxes for everything.

an Omie snip...
    Isn't it harder to build a hive from such a small nuc

tecumseh...
    I would guess it might depend on how you define harder. longer perhaps but harder I don't know.

14. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

It depends on the year some times every thing works in your favor. I had an extra queen and I puled one brood frame and one frame with a little brood some pollen and honey. and only the bees that were on the frames less any foragers. It got a little syrup 1 cup and was in a 4 frame nuc box, 2 empty drawn combs. In 4 weeks it was transferred to a 10 frame deep super with drawn comb and after another 3 weeks honey supers were then added I pulled and extracted 50 lbs. of honey off that small split. I was fingering I would have to give it brood and feed them to get them in shape for winter. Did a heft 2 days ago and still haven't feed them yet. I bet it will be 7 years before we get a year like last year.
    Beekeepers in the south that had to deal with drought Like Gypsi were better beekeepers with their failures than I was with my success. They worked hard to fill the need or the bees to ensure their survival. Where I looked at them and let them take care of themselves.

15. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

an apis snip...
    Beekeepers in the south that had to deal with drought Like Gypsi were better beekeepers with their failures than I was with my success. They worked hard to fill the need or the bees to ensure their survival. Where I looked at them and let them take care of themselves.

tecumseh....
    by theory or the book beekeeping is easy and simple.... at least for me (now and in the very distant past) in regards to practical application of this body of knowledge I have NEVER found it to be either. or perhaps more exactly I would say beekeeping has ALWAYS been challenging.

northern beekeeper face the harsh reality of long harsh winter and southern beekeepers the flipped on it head reality of long harsh summers.... both represent a constant challenge to keep bees alive and in the box.

for people like myself who have reasonable low expectation of what I want from my bees... I know that ANY size of nuc with a good queen on board given enough TIME has the potential of capturing a bit of a honey crop or making the next generation of bees. so you do (or at least should) somewhat modify how you make up nucs based on your own time line and your own expectation of what you want the bees to accomplish.