Medium supers for brood

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by jwsbees, Feb 8, 2015.

1. jwsbees

jwsbees New Member

... Is anyone using medium supers for brood? I am thinking about changing things up before my bees get here. I am no spring chicken and don't relish the idea of wrestling large deeps. I have heard of folks standardizing their yard using mediums for everything. I have also heard bees fill out eight frame hives better than ten. So what do you think, three mediums for brood and two or three mediums for supers on top?

2. Walt B

Walt B Active Member

I use the deep boxes, but I also heard folks going to 3 mediums for brood. Sounds good from a "back" perspective. :wink:

Walt

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015

3. jwsbees

jwsbees New Member

Walt, everyone I know traditionally uses two deep boxes. I'm past the half century mark myself and I'm building the yard for my retirement. (401's are not the way to go !!! Lol) with that said, I know it does create other issues buying nucs etc. But the more I think about it, it makes sense. How about ten vs eight frame hives? Bee health and hive strength is of top priority.
    Thanks
    Jeff

4. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Jw, sounds right to me. But, I suppose you could just keep stacking them until the queen stops laying brood and the workers create a honey barrier pretty much like they do in the trees.

5. Walt B

Walt B Active Member

I haven't heard any negatives about 8 versus 10 frames. I sure don't think the bees care. Anyway, boxes are relatively easy to make, so you can do what you want and don't have to worry about dimensional differences from suppliers. If I add more colonies, they may be 8 frame also.

Walt

6. Ray

Ray Member

I use mediums and like them. The are lighter (you can feel the difference even with brood ). It's easier to pull frames, less rolling bees. The combs even SEEM straighter. I THINK one could get away with containing the brood to the bottom 2 mediums, with a queen excluder.

7. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

I use a deep and a med for brood then go all meds for honey (for back ease lol) as for 10 vs 8 frame bees dont care but think about it, if your hive normally gos 5 boxes high and you switch from 10 to 8 you loose 10 frames and now have to go 6 boxes high for the same hive, and another point, if your like me and go 9 frames in the honey supers for thicker comb you loose another 3 or 4 frames, so in the end you almost need 2 more boxes per hive going from 10 to 8, for me that would add up to alot more boxes to buy and someplace to store

8. jwsbees

jwsbees New Member

Zookeep,
    Thanks for the reply. I hadn't thought about it that way, makes perfect sense to keep with the ten frames. Also I have to try nine in the super. It would be great to have a little deeper comb.

9. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

only go 9 in the super after all the comb is pulled, if you dont they will pull some really messed up frames.

10. jwsbees

jwsbees New Member

I noticed that in my neighbors hive. It made it real difficult to extract some of the frames. If you has nice comb in one frame the one next to it was shallow.

11. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

My local club advocates mediums for everything, in a perfect world, making all equipment interchangeable. Michael Bush and others advocate mediums for the lighter weight. I still use both, but will only buy new medium equipment going forward.

12. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

I use deeps as well as meds cause I raise nucs for sale and people like deep nucs.

13. arkiebee

arkiebee New Member

Supers/Deep

I actually use both - not by choice, but by accident. I end up using supers for brood when the queen goes up in the honey super and starts laying - so now I have both on some of them. It is recommended to use a medium with a deep, and that is what I should go to (for this area) but I have so many deeps right now and not that many supers. The deeps are really heavy, and having a combination like that makes it difficult when I do splits - One time when I reversed my hives, I ended up with 2 supers on the bottom (with the brood) and they filled the deep with honey - now that was heavy! I just do with what I have at the time.

And I have went to 9 frames for the brood and supers - for lifting purposes.