Mediums for the woodworking challenged

Discussion in 'Building plans, blueprints, and finished projects' started by Monie, May 11, 2010.

1. Monie

Monie New Member

This came about, because I have a limited amount of woodworking gear.

These mediums are taller, and because they are, there is no need for a traditional bottom board.

For one box you'll need 1 pc. 1x8x6. Cut sides at 19 7/8, cut front and back at 14 3/4. I don't have a table saw, so I use handheld dovetail saw and chisel for making the rabbets.

Glue and nail (or screw) front and back pieces between the 2 side pieces. Top with a migratory cover.

As is, this medium is 1/8" shorter than a medium sitting on a standard bottom board.

2. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Perhaps I'm not getting the picture.

If you do not use a bottom board, don't you need to either a) make the front shorter for a bottom entrance, or b) drill a hole somewhere for an upper entrance?

I guess you could just leave the bottom open. Is that what you do? I've never had the nerve to try that in these northern climes.

What do you do for frames?

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

How high an opening do your standard bottom boards have?

Also, do you really want mediums that you can't put anywhere on the hive other than on the bottom board?

4. Monie

Monie New Member

Hobie, the migratory cover serves as the entrance. The hives can go on a piece of plywood, or, solid or screened pallet.

Iddee, good question. This is the first year I'm trying them. It might turn out to be a headache, it might not. :) The overall extra space is 1". Yes there'll be burr and brace, but I'm already dealing with that, so a little more doesn't bother me, because I'm in there once every week or so. For someone who opens their hives a couple of times per year, I wouldn't use this box.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If you had all the spaces at 3/8 inch, you wouldn't be "already dealing with that". Also, I buy and sell a few hives now and then. I hate it when I get hives with home made boxes that don't hold to the standards. I have to replace them with new, making my cost nearly double. I don't buy from those beeks a second time.

Comparing the pros and cons of commercial and home made boxes and frames, the commercials will win 90% of the time.

6. Monie

Monie New Member

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I made a bunch of boxes when I was old enough to use dad's table saw and I can tell you for a fact if you don't have them up to specs burr comb will be everywhere, frames will fit too tight or too loose, top covers will have a hard time fitting.

I still have some shallows that I use that have too much space below the frames and the frames are level with the top of the box. Lots of burr comb below, always a good spot to get a bite of fresh honey and find lots of drone brood. I guess I am just too lazy to rework them, ah maybe some day!!

G3