Meds!

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by crazy8days, Feb 13, 2012.

1. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

I'm hoping I can get my hives this week (work/funeral) While I'm getting everything I need do I need to get any meds for this spring? I got my Dadant catalog and was overwhelmed with all the meds and vitamins that they offer!

2. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Hopefully you won't need any meds. :confused: Jack

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

No meds before diagnosis. Preventative meds are more harm than help.

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Good Question heres my take. Dadant and other bee supply houses have one thing in mind and it aint your bees. Its their bottom line. They will sell you what ever you think you need and anything they can convience you, you need. If it aint selling they are not making money. I look at it like asking a used car dealer if your getting a good deal on a car. :D With that in mind. Your questions going to get 11 different answers from 10 different keeps none wrong. Its just the way they manage there bees. I myself choose not to treat. Some treat with only powdered sugar and screened bottom boards. And yet others go the chemical route. You need to descide how you want to manage your bees. Then figure out what products you need to accomplish this. Then go shopping. Also consider especially if your getting package bees they shouldnt need treatments of any kind the first year if all goes well. Also take Iddees advise on treating we dont take cough syrup when we aint sick. :thumbsup:

5. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Good to hear! I don't want to use any type of chemical. I'm always doing what I can in composting, natural garden, etc.

6. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

Acaricides, antibiotics and other treatments do one thing very well in bees and most living things -- breed stronger pests by killing the weak! If that weren't enough they also add stress to the bees' tiny systems. Varroa, Nosema, foulbrood are resistant to the current treatments in most of the country.

7. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

If it ain't broke don't fix it, or If they ain't sick don't treat em. JM2CW. Jim

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I suspect crazy8 that a lot of new bee keepers can get a bit too wound up in the disease and pest vectors and somehow forget it is the bees they need to focus on.

some decision early on in regards to how you plan to deal with all the various down side of bee keeping is worthwhile and some reading on the tale tale signs of the various maladies is useful. most folks don't however need to see a fox behind every chicken coup simply because they are reading tales of mr fox <the human mind is highly suggestive thing???.

like the last portion of riverrat's rant (above) do get to know something of the origin of the bees you are getting and their treatment history. hopefully you will recognize that bees that have a history of treatment, treatment, treatment are a bit like drug addicts... you may get some fairly bizarre outcome if you try to make them go cold turkey.

not all treatments are as some seem to suggest here... you have choice and some treatments are biologically sound and will not, if applied in an appropriate way, build resistance <integrated pest management regimes are purposefully designed in this manner. some treatments act in such a manner that resistance is so far in the future that none of us will be here when that happens. from a somewhat academic/demographic/mathmatical point of view, treatments that kill at a low level of efficiency will never produce resistance.

9. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Keep Iddee's advice in mind all the time. :amen:

10. Omie

Omie New Member

Your bees shouldn't need any 'vitamins' if they have access to natural nectar/pollen sources (hopefully not flowers or crops carelessly treated with pesticides).

11. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

I keep mine in full sunshine--and keep them strong There is always something naturallynoccuring for them to work, the only other thing I do is feed them syrup if they are short on honey. ( and on another post--seems that there was no chilled brood --yeah!!!)
    Barry

12. kebee

kebee Active Member

Boy am I glad for someone to bring this up for I was thinking of ordering a bunch of meds for the new bees I will be getting in April. Now I know not to give them anything until I have too. Thanks

Kebee

13. Marbees

Marbees Member

Just say NO to "preventative" drugs.