membership maps, etc.

Discussion in 'Forum News' started by BjornBee, Jan 4, 2010.

1. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

I see where other forums have membership maps, bee removal maps, etc. I have no knowledge myself, but was wondering how hard is it to have a membership map so we can post where we all were from. I was trying to find out how many here on this forum lived close to me, but there is no way of doing that, without scanning every single member.

Are these maps hard to maintain, or not practical? Would they be worth looking into too?

What say you?

Thank you

2. beekeeperhelper

beekeeperhelper New Member

Bjorn,
    If is is not too difficult, a membership map would be very interesting. We just recently found out that Tecumseh is within shouting distance of us. Having knowledgeable beekeepers on the forum is great, but how wonderful to actually get to meet some of them!

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I think a map would be nice also, I don't know how difficult it would be to set up though.

G3

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

5. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

iddee,
    No problem with that other than it loads at a snails pace...... :(

6. Charles

Charles New Member

I think he means the huge number of spikes in a small area :)

7. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Has nothing to do with numbers of people on this forum. I could post about 20 pins in that map if I thought it was worth the effort. Making it look really full. Meanwhile a membership map is one pin for one person on this forum. Which at this moment is a tad over 500. Even at 5,000 members, and assuming not all will want to post, it would never get to a point that would be overloaded.

Besides, when you zoom in and look at it in a local area instead of a state-wide veiw, it's not that bad.

8. XLB

XLB New Member

if possible, a neat thought is a membership map that only points spikes at the members online. but like BJ said, if its only one pin for one member its not that bad.

9. fatbeeman

fatbeeman New Member

maybe you should have a topic on mentoring too or who would like to mentor people.
    Don

10. G3farms

G3farms New Member

two very good suggestions.

G3

11. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Any movement on the membership map idea?

12. Charles

Charles New Member

There's been very little development to the add-on but I've been working on it here and there and almost have a custom version that will work for us :) couple more weeks maybe...

13. HoneyBeeMan

HoneyBeeMan New Member

Just joined this site. I hope that you will have a membership map. A map of beeks that do bee removals, swarm removals, and have honey for sale would be nice. People are always googling for beeks to do bee removals and looking for "LOCAL" honey.