Memorial Day

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Charles, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Charles

Charles New Member

Hope everyone had a great Memorial day :) we spent most of the day outside doing some yard work and playing in the sprinklers with the kids.

What were you up to today?

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

dealing with a broken truck and putting bee hives in new beekeepers trucks.

I was back on the road again (with willie of course) by the end of the day.

3. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Worked an out yard. Made half a dozen splits. Listened to a radio program about War Poetry. Though about, remembered those who have not come home from war and those who have come home and then died from war. Collected some swarms.

"When will they ever learn,
    when will they ever learn?"

4. cow pollinater

cow pollinater New Member

I did my little silent protest thing that nobody seems to understand yet. I jumped out of bed at 1am like I always do and I worked until three in the afternoon. My "family" was up for the weekend and they just can't figure out why I won't stop and enjoy a three day weekend... I'm kind of of the opinion that if we're going to treat memorial day as just a Three Day Weekend then we don't deserve it. I'd rather work by myself and remember why I'm free to run my busineses.
    Of course, I took the time to explain my thoughts to the kids...

5. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Good for you cp. Every day is a holiday, a holy day. Every day is a work day. Especially if you work for yourself.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

CP is the man. I do like how he thinks.

everyday is a blessing... every sunrise a picture painted by god just for you.

I have a much different slant on holidays like Memorial Day and Veterans Day than most folks. I think (suspect) for a lot of folks such days are a bit like resurrected memories and wishful thinking.

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Cut hay for 11 hours, changed the oil in the tractor.

G3

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Cut hay for 11 hours, changed the oil in the tractor.

G3

9. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Worked on cutting the dados for frame rest in the new hive bodies I'm building. assembled some more hive top feeders wishing all the time I wished it would hurry up and rain and cool down. It finally did rain about 3:00 AM.

Vetrans day just ticks me off so I ignor it altogether. It is now all about the WWII vets and the Iraq vets. I still feel the spit running down my neck.

:mrgreen: Al

10. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Really? You mean that isn't an urban myth?
    The wall wasn't an impressive recognition? A fitting memorial?

11. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Must be the yankees. I never got anything but good vibes from anyone about my "nam service.

12. Omie

Omie New Member

13. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

yea Iddee same here... even amongst my somewhat to absolutely anti war (now ain't we all?) friends.

imsho.... without a doubt the government didn't treat everyone of that era (or historically of any era) with much respect before or after the fact.

14. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

No it isn't a myth it really happened to many of us. If you were lucky you landed some place on the east coast at night like a friend of mine. They had Army buses waiting for them and they were rushed out of the airport to them and carted off to the base for a fitting of winter greens. He said most every one how ever changed into civies before leaving base, He laughs and says people had to be dumb seeing a young fellow with a deep dark tan in Nov in Michigan and not know where they had been.

As a side note. A letter I recieved from Lowe's in responce to their policy of making you wait for a M.O.D to do a over ride on your sale to get the 10% discount.
    All sales persons at Home Depot just give you the discount once you produce your vetrans card. I am a fully card carrying disabled VN vetran.

Hello Al,

Thank you for your interest in Lowe's.

We offer an all-day, every-day 10% Military discount to all military personnel who are
    active, reserve, retired or disabled veterans and their immediate family members with a
    valid, government-issued Military ID or Veterans Identification Card. Please visit your
    local Lowe's store, provide a valid, government-issued Military ID or VIC, and ask the
    cashier for the discount.

All other military veterans will receive the discount on the Memorial Day, Fourth of
    July, and Veterans Day weekends.

Lowe's strives to offer the lowest competitive price to all our customers every day.
    Lowe's has supported our armed services personnel for many years and in several ways. We
    worked with the American Red Cross and the Armed Forces Emergency Services (AFES) to
    bring military families' closer during the holidays. Lowe's has held special in-store
    clinics to help children make personalized gifts for relatives of military. Lowe's will
    continue to support our military, as well as other communities, through ongoing community
    programs and charitable giving.

I'll be happy to forward your email for policy and review.

Thank you,

:mrgreen: Al

15. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Well Al, I am ashamed of any of my fellow anti war bretheren who would have acted in such a fashion. On their behalf I extend apologies for anything I or we may have done to make your home coming any less welcoming.

I don't remember ever knowingly seeing a Viet nam veteran during the 60s and 70s. I grew up outside of Washington,DC almost w/in walking distance of Andrews Air Force Base and Bowling Field. I'm sure some of my class mates in school must have had fathers or perhaps brothers over there. But we didn't talk about it.

I wish there was something I could do to make up for whatever ill will was cast at Viet nam Vets. I try to extend my hand in friendship when I meet someone w/ a Viet nam Vet cap on. I ask him about his time in service and I try to talk w/ him if he is willing. Usually the conversations go well.

I often don't feel that "Thanks for your service." is the right thing to say, nor is it really genuine. What are we saying? Thanks for going where I didn't or was lucky enuf to avoid? Thanks for getting drafted so I wouldn't be? Thanks for volunteering? For taking on a job that could have gotten you killed or messed up in the head?

My son is in the Army and has been to iraq, as many here already know. I was very proud of him when he joined the Army. Proud and ashamed, I believe. Proud that he was willing to take a job that would demand of him greatly, for reasons of his own and for the well being of himself and his fiance. Ashamed of myself for not being able to provide an alternative form of employment to him that would provide him what he needed.

Later i figured out that even if i could have employed him, he still would have joined. It is something he has wanted to do ever since he was a youngster. To be a soldier and carry a rifle. To be a man and prove himself to himself.

I'm sorry you weren't better treated and aren't better treated. Thank you for being who you are and doing what you did and coming home to America. I hope you have found love and peace amongst those who really count in your life.

Hoo-ah(?)

16. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a myth is a myth... which means it is totally unsupported by fact or historical record.

deal with it, you bought into a line from a movie and have repeated the line so many time you now think it is true.

17. the kid

the kid New Member

I think how you were treated is the dates of when you come in and out of country ,, my brother had garbage thrown at them and were called Baby killers , each time they pulled into port ,, others I have talked to had the same as had happened to Al , but a few said nothing was done when they came home, but they came home later ... I myself think the Nam vet is the most forgotten and was the worst treated when he came home .. I was lucky one , I spent my time ( 5/69 to 5/71 ) in Germany ... John and Jane Doe that stayed home and protested or went to Canada , never thought of supporting the troops , even if they didn't
    believe in the cause . as that support does help the troops stay alive .
    they could support the troops with out supporting the cause
    just my 2 cents
    A l ,, and ALL the vets ,,, thank you all for serving and keeping us all free ,, even the ones that did not
    support what you were doing and did ..

18. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I came out of 'nam in Sept., 1967. There was a large sign on main st. of our little town listing all our names and saying thanks. The community spirit reflected that sign's message. I was stationed in Fort Bragg for a year or more after that and seen the same kind of spirit in that area.

Most of the talk of bad treatment I heard about was up north. We went through riot training at Fort Bragg, but were never called on to use it. It wasn't needed in this area.

19. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Though it may have been hard to tell the difference at the time, I was against the war, but not against the men sent there to fight it. Most of them had no choice in the matter anyway, did they? Weren't most of those who served in Viet nam draftees? Media of the time sure made it look that way.

20. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Never saw the statistics, but where I went to basic there were about equal numbers. When I went to Germany in 1966, they couldn't keep enough troops there because of all the ones submitting 1099's "request for transfer" to 'nam. Me included.......