Memorial Weekend Plans?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by riverbee, May 24, 2012.

1. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

What are all doing for the holiday weekend?
    i see crackerbee left on a boat somewhere....! wonder if he went fishing? myself, i was hoping to get some trout fishing in, but doesn't look like that's going to happen. storms rolled in here last night, raining something fierce now and rain forecast for the weekend, and flood warnings for my river, well, it's already flooded, so i might have to go out and look for some agates/artifacts when it settles down.

have a great weekend everyone, enjoy your family and friends!:wave:

2. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

My wife and I are heading to Epping, NH to race dirt bikes for the weekend. Well, she'll be watching I'll be doing my best impersonation of racing that I can muster. Granted with my skill set it's a poor impersonation, but I get to spend time with my wife, my nephew and his family and other friends.

Have a happy and safe weekend everyone

3. dr.buzz

dr.buzz New Member

Being a self employed home schooling family, we have our fun on weekdays when the crowds are at school/work. Weekends, and especially holiday weekends, we stay home. Too many drunks and cops on the road for my liking. We have a pontoon boat at the lake, and if we went there this weekend, we'd probably have to walk the last quarter mile just to get to the marina, and then we'd have to share the lake with a thousand people. We wait until Tuesday when everyone goes back to work, and we get the beach to ourselves, like for a birthday party:

DSC_0166.JPG

DSC_0191.JPG

4. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

My plans got cancelled, so I think I'm going to get my tomato house put up in the garden, finish getting all my transplants out, fill up a trench by the garden fence line full of top soil and seed some bee-friendly wildflowers, put together some super frames I picked up last week, and check on my hives and the garden hive.

I was planning on a BBQ in the community garden; however the coordinator was a doofus when she planned this and forgot this was a three-day holiday weekend, there's a bluegrass festival in town AND a block from the garden a weekend long outdoor street vendor event will be running, meaning there will be no parking at all anywhere in the neighborhood...that coordinator needs to get her stuff together!

(PS, I'm the coordinator. :wink:)

5. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Off fri, sat and sun...bbq, listening to the 500, family time...bees....relax...jumpin in the pool for the first time this season...Dr.

6. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

papa keith said:
    "I'll be doing my best impersonation of racing that I can muster."
    LOL:lol:

doc b, nice pix of the family and lake, purdy lake!
    "Too many drunks and cops on the road for my liking." :thumbsup:

heinlanfan says:
    "the coordinator was a doofus when she planned this"........"PS, I'm the coordinator" :doh:

and Dave:
    "listening to the 500"

forgot......BASEBALL!!!

7. Zulu

Zulu Member

Busy weekend for me, started about an hour ago too. :grin:
    Bees this afternoon and in morning, siding on my new sun room , brewing Saturday morning, weeding and planting vegetables and working on Hops farm Sat pm, community pool opens as well, so will be past there too, BBQ sat night with about 8 families
    Sunday breakfast with my mom, more siding and trim, plus maybe some painting , then a bike ride, then pool.

Monday I get to rest.....

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

"Too many drunks and cops on the road for my liking."

You mean there's a difference? :roll:

Baseball?? What's that.

Iffen hit hain't fishin', huntin' or racin', hit hain't sports.

9. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

iddee,
    "Baseball?? What's that.
    Iffen hit hain't fishin', huntin' or racin', hit hain't sports."

that must be another one of those mason dixon line things?:lol:
    well, i have two right, fishin' and huntin!

10. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

Just going to hang around the house, take the wife on a long motorcycle ride and bottle up all of last years Muscadine/Scuppernong to get ready for this years harvest. Of course the race and BBQ by the pool to cap it off!

Have a Great Memorial Day Weekend & remember those in our Armed Forces!

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died for our country. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived.
    -General George S. Patton

11. kebee

kebee Active Member

Going to a family reunion, going to fill up on some good food than back and maybe jump in pool for first time this year.

Have a Great Memorial Day and those in armed forces

kebee

12. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

Well for me my plans start nice and early on Friday... at 8 am there will be a bunch of workers hgere to remove the asbestos tiles from my basement post the flood .. that may last into Saturday... Then Sunday is the day I go back into the hive to see if I have a queen ..

13. pturley

pturley New Member

Two baseball games for the kids over the weekend and my indoor soccer game (30+) tomorrow night.

Another raised bed garden to plant (only 4 x 12', I built it last weekend) with more veggies and amaranth Saturday AM.

Saturday afternoon: Baseball game, then finish the flooring underlay (1/4" luan), then tape and mud the walls in our new bathroom addition. To quote my wife: "I didn't think this bathroom would've needed four sheets of 1/4"..." (the fourth sheet is for inner covers in the next line below).

After dark: A fair stack of woodenware to finish cutting and assemble. Several medium supers for later along with 6 deeps, covers and SBB for my three hives and two removals I would like to start this weekend but by the sounds of it, might not happen (a likely cut-out and a trap-out).

Quotes/bid contracts to type-up and email for two cut-outs (one near, one far away) for people that contacted me about removals.

My wife is having a party for my youngest son's 1st grade class next Wednesday, 2 kids in his class are allergic. I have to move my three hives this weekend as well. One to my neighbor's yard so I can still keep a close eye on it. Two to my sister-in-laws yard (much more rural with better forage) about 10 miles away. This will happen Sunday night.

The following weekend only the one hive will be returning to my yard, followed later by any breeding nucs, splits or removals I do through the season.

Monday AM, a parade the the last baseball game, then get the yard, garage (workshop) and screen porch cleaned up for the party on Wed.

I would've loved to go fishing at least once this weekend but I doubt I'll have the time (Monday late afternoon is still a possibility. Perch are biting on Lake Erie!). I am guessing one of my in-laws will be having a picnic... ...unfortunately, this would trump fishing. My neighbors a couple of doors down keep offering to sell us their boat (at a fantastic price too!) but I have less time to enjoy it than they do!

Now if I could just get my in-laws out on the boat??? :confused:

By the time it's all said and done, I may well be looking forward to coming back to work on Tuesday!

14. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

kebee says:
    "and maybe jump in pool for first time this year."
    kebee, you sharing that pool with your bees? :rotfl:

15. Omie

Omie New Member

My husband and I run an old-time music festival every Mem Day weekend- this is our 13th straight year. here are pix from last year: http://www.oldsongs.org/blackcreek/2011/2011.html
    So...camping and playing LOTS of music is on the agenda for me- loading the car with banjos and fiddles! :Dancing:

16. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I get to work 12-hour shifts on Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday night, Tuesday night and Wednesday night. People like electricity on weekends and holidays, too.

17. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Alright Dr. Buzz! :thumbsup: Another guy got the beard thing goin on! Good one too.

I didn't realize you folks had a holiday happening this weekend. Play safe everyone!

Me, I'm just gonna hang around here with Slowmodem I guess. :wink:

18. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Supposed to be in the 90's, so good weather to do a little outside work. Will probably pull the last of the onions and hang them to dry, finish shredding the pasture. Maybe do a cut-out in a town north of here; it's an outhouse, so I'll wear my snorkel gear.

A few weeks ago the female tiger at the zoo had 3 cubs. Maybe we can get to visit them. The last cubs we visited were 6 months old or so...kind of big and active for this old man. :lol:

Took a couple of extra days on each side of the holiday, so maybe this weekend will be a "preview of coming attractions"...if I ever retire. :beg:

Finally, I shall probably spend some quiet moments thinking of friends, relatives, and acquaintances who "gave their last full measure of devotion".

Walt

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  19. kebee

kebee Active Member

Yep riverbee I am sharing the pool with them, I have found one bee in it this year, I have water next to their hives.

kebee

20. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

perry says:
    "Alright Dr. Buzz! :thumbsup: Another guy got the beard thing goin on! Good one too.
    I didn't realize you folks had a holiday happening this weekend. Play safe everyone!
    "

a good looking one at that (beards), and i didn't mean to exclude you canucks or anyone else around the globe! so while we americans are doing our memorial gatherings, you beeks elsewhere will miss our presence on the forum?:grin:

kebee,
    enjoy poking fun about the pool, enjoy your weekend!

btw, thanks to all our military service members and families, worldwide!
    as walt said:
    "I shall probably spend some quiet moments thinking of friends, relatives, and acquaintances who "gave their last full measure of devotion".
    :thumbsup: