Mentoring on Friday 13th

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, Jul 16, 2012.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Took a young couple of new beekeepers(man and wife) with me to some of my outyards up north, to see how i take honey off. They were excited and interested in everything we run into while going into the hives.We checked 3 hives that i had combined(they had been queenless) with nucs two weeks ago,one was still queenless?No sign of a queen or new brood or eggs? and all the brood that was in the nuc had hatched out.In another yard i had put a frame of eggs and a frame of brood in a queenless hive, hoping they would raise a new queen, only to find wax moths had taken over??( they got to see their dirty work) We took off 8 med. supers of honey,and they wanted to know why i didn't take honey off the rest of them, i told them i don't take off more than i can extract in two days(With the truck garden,cattle, and Farmers market) because of the wax moth and SHb. I know now how tec. and iddee must feel, they wouldn't let me lift or carry the honey supers to the truck,like maybe i'm to old to do that.:roll: They said they learned more today than they learned in our 4 day bee club class, and of course they wouldn't let me unload the truck.:lol: Jack

PS. If you get a chance to mentor new beekeepers,jump on it. It's alot of fun and you get to know more about your new club members.

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

You are a smart man Jack (no matter what anyone else might say :lol:) Paying it forward is a great way to make new friends. I also notice that time seems to fly by when someone else comes out to the yard with me. Guess it's all the talking and carrying on while doing the work. :mrgreen:
    Thumbs up to those that mentor. :thumbsup:

3. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

:goodpost:

"If you get a chance to mentor new beekeepers,jump on it. It's alot of fun"
    nice post and story jack.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Heck Jack you need to bring them back to the honey house and let them help you extract also. :lol:

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I have done the same here to a fellow in our bee club who lives near by. the fellow reads a lot but says the real life experience certainly drives the stuff he reads home. I may do this a bit more as the season of taking off honey and extracting continues (at a snell pace up to now). I typically take off just enough so that they can help extract and be pretty much done by noon.