merril tool box

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by 2kooldad, Feb 22, 2012.

1. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

Anybody use a merril tool box for working bees....i bought one an i like it so far but....there is a spring latch on the top of the lid an i dont know what its for :/ any ideas ???

2. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

It is for the frame perch if you use one. The hangers go into the two slotted holes in the lid and the latch holds it in place. :thumbsup: I have two of them, one for the house and one for the farm.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

4. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

an how many frames will it hold before it falls over....an where do you get this frame holder ???

5. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

oh yea....an that was my next question....what the 2 slots were for.....thanks H.W. :)

6. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

of coarse you know i aint buying the frame holders.....i'll be shade tree manufacturing them....thats what makes em....mine.

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I like using a five frame deep plywood D. Coats design box. Looks just like it and are cheap to make, plus if you need a box to put a swarm or split in you have it.

8. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

2Kool,

The frame perch hangs on the side of your hive body/super, in place of putting them on the ground etc. I think they hold about 5 frames and run about $20.00. Pretty bad when my beekeeping out spends Harley's! :D

9. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I bought one of these toolboxes last fall after I got my hive. I like it, but I think it's kind of heavy (Or I'm out of shape, which is of course, the real reason!). My wife got me one for Christmas. So now I have two of them. I was going to send it back, but BM said there was a 10 or 15% restocking fee (I don't remember the exact number, but it was high I thought). When you added shipping cost to the restocking fee, I figured I'd just keep it and see if anybody at the local beekeeper association (my first meeting is Saturday) might want to buy it ( or maybe I'll donate it as a door prize).

10. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

Greg,

Don't make the mistake of donating the one the wife gave you (it is special-trust me) or at least admitting to it...I did that with a Beekeepers for Dummies a couple of years back and yes, I ended up being the Dummy! :dash1:

11. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

OH Ya when ever the Queen bee gets you something YOU never get rid of it, YOU always use it(even if you don't)

12. jim314

jim314 New Member

So right :D

13. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

Hey G.....da merrill tool box is literaly a 5 frame nuc box with tool holders all over it an a latch so da bees cant get out.....its niffty

I hear ya on the wife thing....i have a knitted scarf (in florida) that i will wear once a year for the rest of my days even if all thats left is a string of tattered yarn....a small price to pay for her ear on the endless subject of bees.

14. kebee

kebee Active Member

I will just carry my stuff in a 5 gal. bucket, in fact in two of them to balance out my load, may even have to make many trips to get the job done. Cannot do what I used to, oh me age is really chatching up on me.

Kebee