Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see on here that some people are concerned about mice in the hive.
Do mice eat bees or what do they do?

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Which brings up another question. If one finds a mouse or mice had taken up residence in the bottom box of a hive during the winter, would any honey in that hive be considered contaminated? (Given the unhousebroken thing) I recently had the experience when helping a first spring inspection had a RAT jump out of a hive top feeder! :shock: Pretty near had to change the shorts after that one! :lol: Rat crap everywhere! Ugh.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We do get HEAVy duty mice infestations here on Molokai occassionally [yearly]. I guess I'll have to keep an eye on the entrance size. They CAN squeeze thru VERY small openings.

·
Registered
974 Posts
We do get HEAVy duty mice infestations here on Molokai occassionally [yearly]. I guess I'll have to keep an eye on the entrance size. They CAN squeeze thru VERY small openings.
Keep a 3/8 or 1/2" spacer on the entrance and you should not have an issue, I cut my own on the saw and they are about 4" wide

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
They are also quite destructive to the frames and combs where they build their nest. They gnaw away at the wood, sometimes chewing completely through a side or bottom and make large holes in the combs.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
When I was starting to do spring clean up in Upstate New York, opened up a hive and could see alot of debris on the bottom board, removed the brood chambers, and saw something was entombed totally encased in propolis, had to scrape it out with hive tool, it was a totally dried down mummified mouse that judging from the number of stingers still attached to it's skin( about 300 ), had a really bad hair day and I doubt this one was coming back for seconds lol.
Barry

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
I've heard it said that propolis is one of the preservatives the Egyptians usedd in preparing their mummies. Maybe yours were Egyptian bees? :rolling:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts