Mid February Orientation and Pollen

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by jim314, Feb 15, 2012.

1. jim314

jim314 New Member

I saw this when I came home for lunch today. They seem healthy but I've read so many posts about bees suddenly dying or disappearing that I'm not confident, just hopeful that all is well :). They had lots of pollen and lots of new bees orienting in the warm weather after being cooped up for several days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R02GjJWkvIs

2. Dbure

Dbure New Member

I love your boxes Jim314. Those are adorable, and it helps the bees locate their homes easier. I have seen my bees active like this on warmer sunnier days. Today really surprised me though with the clustering because the temperature was 52 and the rain had been pouring making it a really nasty day. It looks like your hives are doing really well. :thumbsup:

3. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Enjoyed your video. I can't match your weather since you are a bit out of my area.

The flight pattern looked like orienting --- side to side flight. Spotted the pollen going in, two (?) colours. I usually take this as a good sign --- brood rearing going on.

With 3 active hives and one quiet one, I would be more concerned about the quiet one.

I prefer my entrance block the other way up --- easier for the bees to remove debris. Do you have any special reason for your configuration ? :D :coolphotos: :eek:ldtimer:

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

the front of that hive is just toooo pretty...

the weather here seems to be going back and forth between wet and sunshine... after even a day of overcast, rain or a cool snap when the sun does come out the 'newbees' are plugging in the gps and marking the location of HOME as they do their solo or orientation flight.

5. jim314

jim314 New Member

tecumseh:
    Thanks, my wife enjoys painting them. The one labeled "beehouse" was a joint effort of my wife, daughter and grandson :)

Barbarian:
    There was actually 3 colors of pollen, dark red, yellow, and gray, but didn't show up too well in the video. The quite hive is empty, it will have bees this spring. I put the entrance reducer in like I did because of something I read before starting to keep bees. I read it needed to be up in case the bottom fills with dead bees, and the live ones can't get out. That probably is geared to an area much colder than where I am though, if it is even true anywhere. I'm still to new to this to know what is right or wrong.