Middle Buster ? Potato plow

Discussion in 'The Rural Life' started by power napper, May 9, 2013.

1. power napper

power napper New Member

Am seeking some advice on how to angle the blade on a potato plow. Bought the 10 inch blade on ebay. I needed a potato plow for my Honda Foreman, I installed a kolpin three point hitch and we already built a category 0 plow for turning dirt over. My question is about how the angle of attack on the soil to lift the potatoes out of the earth, should it be about forty five degrees or steeper.

2. Ray

Ray Member

A potato plow, that looks a little like a middle buster is for harvesting potatoes.
    A molboard plow, for rolling the dirt up and the sod down, and is a totally different duck
    Potatoes should be planted about 2 inches below the top of the ground.
    Potatoes should be hilled (dirt mounded up to protect the growing potatoes) later in the season. A middle buster MIGHT be used to do this.
    A potato harvester's 'angle of attack' is a lot shallower around 20 degrees.

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Don't know what a potato plow or middle plow is, or maybe it's what we call a lister plow? Jack

4. ASTMedic

ASTMedic New Member

The top link will change the angle of the implement. Shorter or longer will move the top in and out thus moving the bottom in or out