Might have a removal come spring...

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by DonMcJr, Oct 6, 2012.

1. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

The lady working at the local gas station told me she has honey bees in her porch wall. She didn't wanna tell her landlord cause she said she knows the honeybees are endangered and he would probally kill them. So I told her come spring I'll cone by and remove them and put them in a hive but she will have to tell her landlord I'm doing it cause I only tear apart what I need to to get to the bees and I don't fix what has to be torn out...

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

with rental property especially it is good to get the 'understanding' in writing.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hey Don:

Be very careful. I have exactly the same scenario going on up here and I will not touch the house unless the owner of the property gives permission. The owner knows they are there, the tenant knows they are there, and both know I can remove them. The neighbour that called me about them has even offered to pay but the owner has not responded.

4. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

Having done home repair and remodeling for over 20 years I will tell you it is actually illegal to touch a house without the owners consent. Tenants are not owners. Tenants also cannot stop you once you have the owners consent either. Any issues the tenant has at that point is the landlords problem not yours. don't get involved in disputes with the tenant. They also do not become your boss.

Here in Nevada it is law that the tenant be given 24 hours notice that any work will be done. I have done work that required the landlord move the tenant into another apartment while the work was done and things like that. But that is between the landlord and the tenant. You are their to work and you have every right to do so without interruption or harassment.

5. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

I'm a Texan, a lover of bees, and a landlord. If someone told me they were going to pull some bees out and not repair any damages, the real short answer would be "NO." If the removal was such that the repairs were very easy and not a cost other than labor, I would save the bees, but IMHO you shouldn't expect a property owner to allow you just go after the bees and walk away from any damages. Were I you, I would want something in writing.

As a side note, I didn't want to be a landlord. When I was on a drill site in a foreign country, my wife bought a small home for my youngest son. Two years later he took a job some 200 miles from there. The housing market being what it is made me into a landlord. However; the rent property has become one of my better investments, be it ever so small.

6. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

How often do you find a beekeeper that is actually qualified and skilled enough to make repairs to a home? From what I read it seems pretty common that beekeepers don't even have fairly common tools and equipment. much less the skills.

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:lol: But most of us have duct tape I bet! :thumbsup:

8. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Oh I won't do anything without talking to the owner and have his written permission. All I plan to do is remove them with the least possible damage and I'm gonna request a repairman be there to instruct/help me get to them or I won't bother.

9. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

I hope it works out for you, who wouldn't want free bees? I just have to snicker a little when people think that bees are endangered. Having (with human help) colonized all continents except antarctica, the honey bee is one of the most successful insect on the planet. They are not even native to the new world and could theoretically be called an invasive species.