Migratory top covers

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by jwsbees, Sep 6, 2015.

1. jwsbees

jwsbees New Member

How do you folks feel about migratory top covers? Eleven bucks vs forty bucks.

2. camero7

camero7 Member

Don't use anything else.

3. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

I've been looking at modifying the Kelly plywood ones that have feeding lids... adding some ribs and end pieces.

I have noticed that when I left the realm of hobby, headed into more and more hives, I am a lot less picky about stuff, and the bees don't care.

4. jwsbees

jwsbees New Member

Yep, leaving that realm too... I was going back through my stuff and see that I paid three hundred dollars for my first hive! Think I got taken advantage of? Buyer beware! Lol!

5. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I make my own migratory tops with a feed jar opening but only use them 8 months out of the year. I use telescoping with inner covers from November til about March.

6. jwsbees

jwsbees New Member

Gypsy, thinking about it... Guess It should have hit me earlier... Why do you switch?

7. Gypsi

Because our winters tend to have violent temp swings from hot to cold, rainy to desert like, I use telescoping with an innercover, and generally a piece of styrofoam in that telescoping cover with a sort of screen elevator attached to the styrofoam, over the hole in the inner cover, so condensation does not drip down on the bees, rain and wind stay out but the hive is ventilated. It is not as easy as my summer system but my winter losses are few

8. Ray

Ray Member

I like the extra room the inner cover provides for the bees and the ease of syrup feeding if necessary.

9. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

You can use inner covers under your migratory covers. and if your inner covers have top entrances in them, place the Styrofoam between top migratory cover and the inner cover. having 2 covers for each hive defeats the trying to save in hive costs.

10. Gypsi

I can't have over 3 hives anyway, not enough forage, and I own 4 or 5 telescoping cover sets from the year I didn't know how to balance hive count with forage and drought, so it is not an issue. Now Nuc covers, that's different, because I do catch my swarms and a few others and sell or park them elsewhere until they get big.