Miracle or snake oil ??

Discussion in 'Bee News' started by Iddee, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Iddee

Iddee New Member

2. Hobie

Hobie New Member

How does it get through the brood cappings?

I don't use formic acid so I can't comment on its potential.

3. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Only time will tell. :|

Sounds like they're pretty well sold on the treatment since, with all the hype, they probably have people not buying Mite Away II, waiting for the new treatment to be available.

Walt

4. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

we wouldn't know, those miracle bees (or whatever you and Wayne named them) hardly have mites with absolutely NO treatment. It's worth the extra stings.... in 3 seasons those are the only bees to continue to do well.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Wayne's bees... He's still watching over them. :amen:

They haven't been treated anytime. They can be traced back to before the mites came. None of them were ever treated.

6. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

When I get to Heaven I'll have to be sure to thank him for them.... it's great to not have that worry in at least 3 of the hives.

7. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

They could come out with a hundred new products. Don't use anything now, and don't get to excited about a "press release" from someone selling the next "new" treatment.

8. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

I spoke with company reps yesterday, Formis acid, same thing ants use to spray or sting with, since the cappings on brood cells are air permeable the exchange is possible, but CANNOT be used in temps higher then 92 degrees as then the formic acid becomes to volatle and will kill off the brood both capped and uncapped. Initially when used correctly will cause the bees to vacate the hive and beard on the outside till the vapors dissipate. The rep says low loss of capped brood and larval brood will occur, nothing major. 95% effective in mite elimination when compared side by side with no treatment.
    not too bad still relatively new and now in wide spread usage no real track record.

9. Omie

Omie New Member

Isn't Mite-Away formic acid supposed to work against tracheal mites too?
    If so, then what good would it do if the bees vacate the hive while it's working, bearding on the outside. Wouldn't they then not get their tracheal mites treated if the bees weren't returning into the hive until after the vapor dissipates?

10. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

I took part in a Belgium study last year, and with many samples taken from many apiaries in the north, T-mites were almost non-existant in the hives. I actually had to call and ask about the results I was forwarded, due to them not being found at all in most of the samples tested.

11. Omie

Omie New Member

When you say 'in the north'...do you mean in northern Belgium?
    I'm not sure what you are trying to say....?

12. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

The study as I understood it, was a study in regards to overwintering colonies, and associated problems with bees. They looked at v-mites, t-mites, bacteria and viral issues, etc. Pennsylvania volunteered as one of the participating states, and the inspectors took random samples from various apiaries.

Which other states participated I am not sure. But I thought they were one's that had a more traditional winter.

13. Omie

Omie New Member

So you are saying that a Belgium study took samples of various apiaries in northeastern U.S. last year and reported little or no infestation of tracheal mites?

14. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

That's what I'm saying. I was surprised as I thought more hives than thought were being effected by t-mites. But the results were clear that most had none, while others had a very low levels.

If I run across the results, I will post the actual results. They are in a pile of papers, and which pile, I am not sure.... :D

15. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

barry writes:
    95% effective in mite elimination when compared side by side with no treatment.
    not too bad still relatively new and now in wide spread usage no real track record.

tecumseh:
    I think the product is not so new, but the form of the product has been modified greatly.

the first time I noted some mention of formic acid as a mite treatment was in an article by mr mraz (dated some 30 years ago) who casually mentioned that the europeans were using formic acid as a miticide. he made no comment as to of how they were using the product.

effectiveness looks quite acceptable for an acid wash.... not that I will buy any of the stuff myself.

16. rast

rast New Member

My problem is the 92 degree max temp. I have found it best to treat in Aug/Sept for me.

17. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Pre fall brood.....is best for any treatment... :thumbsup: