Missed a swarm today

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jmblakeney, Mar 27, 2012.

1. jmblakeney

jmblakeney New Member

Got another swarm call today. They guy told me that he had a cluster of bees in the fork of a tree. He said they were building a hive and they were about 24"x24" big. I asked him how he knew that they were building a hive there. He said that because it was just a huge cluster of bees and they had been there since Sunday.:confused: I told him that it is unusual for a swarm to build out in the open in TN, but I would come on out. He was at work so I asked when the last time they where saw there. He said his girlfriend just called him and was talking about them. I got his home phone # so I could verify they were still there when I got about halfway. I got ready to get some bees and jumped in the truck. Took me less than 6-7 min to get in the truck. As soon as I opened the truck door my phone rang. It was him, he said his girlfriend just called him and said they were gone. "They just disappeared.":roll: Hopefully this doesn't happen too many times this year.

James

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Win some.............................:cry:
    At least you weren't out gas money! :smile:

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

You're lucky.Brandon and I went after a swarm this afternoon. 25 mile trip. They were plastered to the side of a tree 20 feet up. Drove 6 mile to get a ladder and returned. Spent 30 to 45 minutes getting them into a nuc box. Watched as they fanned and gathered in and on the nuc. Left for an hour til dusk. Went back at dusk and picked up the empty nuc box and came home. 5 hours and 65 mile for nothing. That's beekeeping.

4. jim314

jim314 New Member

Too bad. They do disappear quickly.

5. jmblakeney

jmblakeney New Member

Wow. I know that is bound to happen sometime but it still hurts when it does.

I am assuming you didnt find/catch the queen?

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I'm sure I had her in the beginning, but I guess she didn't like the box.

It's all right, tho. They swarmed from the hive in the attic of the house. I will be cutting them out Thursday. Should be numerous queen cells in the cutout.