Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok,after some research i think i know what it is,sometimes called the poor man split,you take a strong colony and split the brood and honey into 2 hive bodies,you need one queen to start the queenless one,done in mid april and fed pollen patties and sugar syrup with a board feeder,this will have them ready for the nectar flow,now i know bee catcher will know if this is correct.let me know :?:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
this is very informative and useful info,since i have only one hive i plan to go to my bee guy in cameron and trade 5 of my new frames for brood,queen and comb,thats where i got the good bees i have leftnext year i will try this split method,the ones i bought last spring built up fast and still seem strong

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i found it! in dr. larry connors book"increase essentials". in the glossary on page 125 it states "mississippi splits= term used to describe the division or splitting of a 2 story colony into 4 five frame nuclei popularized by adee honey farms at their winter location in mississippi.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.