Mistakes you made while Bee Keeping

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Buckeye, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Buckeye

Buckeye New Member

Please share your experience, you might save us newbs from a few stings :smile: or a failed hive.. Even if its basic, Id love to hear it.

2. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

things I've done right would be a shorter list :)

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

boy talk about a question that is designed to 'cut to the chase'. I wouldn't even know where to start... and the finish line is so far away I am already panting.

4. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

My usual one is : -- "I'm only doing XYZ. I don't need to suit up." :grin:

5. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I haven't made any mistakes.....I've only created lessons that I can teach to others ;)

6. Noronajo

Noronajo New Member

I know it's kinda stormy but I'm just peeking under the lid-why suit up for that?

7. kebee

kebee Active Member

Buckeye, your best bet would be to read all the post in the froum to find what all has been good and bad for a bekeeper, I think you will find a whole lot of info in it.

kebee

8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Barbarian and Norango have hit the nail on the head!
    Usually this is previously accompanied by my comment to someone I'm showing the bees to that goes like "Honey bees rarely sting you you, all they want to do is work and if you don't interfere with that you'll be fine............OUCH"!

9. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

There are no mistakes, just learning experiences.
    Now for the list After 30 + years there is a few.
    1-I was driving past Perry's uncle Leo's house and he was out side so stopped and asked about getting bees His son dropped package bees that he trucked up from California off at an beekeeper across the street He gave me an end bar, top bar, and bottom bar. Showed me a bottom board cover inner cover and super. with instructions to build frames and that 10 frames fit in a box 10 clean new frames can fit in a super 14" wide inside the standard is 15" inside so the frames where tight so I only ran 9 frames in the brood box. queen excluders where to wide A guy who hade a couple of hives died suddenly so bought his equipment It was time to make new supers the right size. the first supers I used 1X10 which are planed to 9 1/2" and then shrink more so some supers were only 9 1/4" tall 3/8" to short so bees would propolis the frames from the top box to the frames below.
    2-Started extracting out side had to stop and move inside. Had no concept of how a drop of honey could spread thru out an entire house. Ok more than one drop.
    3- Was checking the hives and one needed an other super on it so when I was finished checking all the hives carried one up from the bee shed and the bees were gentle and com so just put the veil on with out tying it down. lifted the cover the bees came porring out of the hive up my body and inside the veil. got enough stings so one side of my face looked like elephant man, eye swollen shut. The sun had just diapered behind the mountains. Years after an old time beekeeper told me never work bees after 4:00 PM. Good advice.
    placing hives to close to the fence. The distance was fine for cows but when horses were out in they chewed on the covers knocking some off and exposing the bees to the cold.
    More to be added

10. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

After one whole season it is easy to figure out my "Biggest" mistake. I left the honey on my hive so long that when I finally got around to taking it. the bees had either eaten or moved it. Did that yesterday. So far that is the biggest disappointment I have had after one season under my belt.

11. Big Bear

Big Bear New Member

for me, the biggest mistake I make is to let myself think I know more about keeping bees alive than they do.

I have shown them the books, they don't care. They make a liar out of them and me all the time. I think they do read the books I leave out there for them but they just laugh and pretend not to have seen it.

Thinking I know it all leads to overconfidence. Overconfidence leads to bad choices (Bad choices like opening a hive in bad weather) Which leads to bees giving me a reminder that I don't know as much as I think I do.

12. riverrat

riverrat New Member

biggest mistake as a newbee I got to big to quick in my hive numbers

13. bamabww

bamabww New Member

trying to work the bees at night.

14. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

Overfeeding was my biggest faux pas. The girls rebounded then, as they have at most of my "helpful" moments.

My favorite new saying when describing my beekeeping experience, "So far the bees have survived all of my attempts to help them".

15. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I'm sure the bees are in their hives right now making a list that reads, "mistakes we've made while human-keeping." :razz:

16. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Rather than start (with just a few bad moves I've made) and the have the moderators pull my post because it exceeded the word limit allowed for postings, I'll simply say, there have been so many, that I've forgotten most of them. I do remember thinking many times, that THIS is one mistake I better write down so I'll remember never to make it again.
    You guessed it--I didn't write them down and I've made many of the same mistakes more than once. :frustrated:

17. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

Some conversations I've had while beekeeping:

Heinleinfan: "Well, they said at beeschool if I didn't use the queen excluder on under a honey super I'd have brood in my honey."
    Bees: "Whatever that is you just put on our hive, we're not going near it, much less through it to the super on the other side."

Heinleinfan: "I can load up the hive on this kiddie wagon and pull it across the yard, I'm sure that I can just lift one end at a time over the steps when I get it there, it's only one little step."
    Neighbor: "Um, is your hive supposed to be on the ground in three pieces like that?"

Heinleinfan: "Oh, sure, there's bears in this area but they can't get into my backyard since it's got this 6 foot fence around it."
    Bears: "Oh hi, we can knock over wooden fences, thanks for the snacks. Oh, and better call the landlord to look at that fence on the ground."

18. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Mistakes?? I never made any.

I thought I did once, but I was wrong. :thumbsup: :lol:

19. pturley

pturley New Member

Yeah, but stings and a failed hive here or there is how we learn and is all part of the fun...

...why deny you of that???

20. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

My blog has the story. For this year,
    Buying an Italian queen